CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1188593

Date first listed: 03-Aug-1979

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL, JERICHO LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1188593 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Mar-2019 at 02:05:46.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL, JERICHO LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Leicestershire

District: Melton (District Authority)

Parish: Redmile

National Grid Reference: SK 77778 34938

Details

SK 7634-7734 REDMILE JERICHO LANE (West side) Barkestone-le-Vale 46/301 Church of St Peter and St Paul 3.8.79

II*

Parish church. Mainly C14 with C15 alterations. West tower, nave, chancel, north aisle, and south aisle added and clerestory rebuilt in 1840 by William Parsons. Restored 1857. Ironstone with ashlar dressings and slate roofs. 3 stage tower with diagonal buttresses. 3-light Perpendicular west window. String courses between storeys. Slit lights to ringing chamber and 2-light Perpendicular belfry windows. Crenellated limestone parapet with angle pinnacles. Plain octagonal spire. North aisle has 2 3-light Perpendicular windows under 4-centred arches and a similar east window. South aisle has 3-light Perpendicular windows of cast iron and an arched doorway. Chancel lit through 2-light arched windows. Interior. 3 bay arcade standing on compound piers: circular moulded bases and undercut capitals. South side is of 1840. Triple chamfered tower arch. Nave roof of tie beams on arched braces dropping on wall posts to corbels. King strut rises from ties to ridge piece forming triangular traceried openwork panels. Plain C13 drum font. C14 effigy in nave under ogeed wall arch with finial. C15 tower screen partly formed of doors from a chancel screen. Chancel roof as nave, but C19. 4 stall ends in chancel, with elaborate poppyheads and deeply undercut figures of saints and other carving: late C15.

Listing NGR: SK7777834938

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 190247

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing