CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1188603
Date first listed:
14-Jun-1967
Date of most recent amendment:
25-Nov-1985
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN, HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1188603 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2019 at 01:18:54.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Surrey
District:
Guildford (District Authority)
Parish:
Ripley
National Grid Reference:
TQ 05123 56634

Details

TQ O5NE RIPLEY C.P. HIGH STREET (South Side)

2/155 Church of St. Mary 14/6/67 the Virgin (Formerly listed as The Church of St. Mary)

GV II*

Church. C12 chancel with nave of 1846 by B. Ferrey and aisle of 1869 by Sir T. G. Jackson. Puddingstone and flint rubble with sandstone dressings to chancel; flint rubble with ashlar dressings to remainder; all under plain tiled roofs with gable crosses. Nave with aisle to north,porch to south, chancel to east and gabled bellcote on west end. Lancet windows to nave, all on cill course with roll-moulding and hood string course above, nook shafts to edges. Windows alternate with offset buttresses. C12 and C13 lancet windows to chancel, 2 on north and south sides, clasping buttresses to east end. 3-light,pointed arch,window to east under quatrefoil roundel. Roundel window to east end of north aisle and larger 3-light windows to north wall of aisle. C20 church hall extension to north. 5-light west window - 2 lancets open and 3 blocked - with jamb shafts and mouldings. Narrow door under hood mould, deeply-recessed with jamb shafts flanking. Gabled porch to south with arched and studded door. Two orders of jamb shafts and 4-roll mouldings to arch. Interior:- 4 bay arcade to north aisle with alternate round and octagonal piers. Hood mouldings to arches and braced kingpost roof to north aisle, windbraced king- post roof to nave. Narrow chancel arch to Norman chancel. Originally rib-vaulted roof, now renewed, the walls have intricate scalloped capitals to round columns in angles and triple attached columns in centre of north and south walls - intended to take the main ribs of the vault. Enriched, diamond pattern and stiff leaf, flower like ornament to string course. Black and white stone floor. Blocked square openings to west, north and south walls. Fittings: Arched piscina in east wall of chancel. C19 stone font to north west corner, circular, with 4 lobes on round pier and central octagonal stem. Late C19 organ. C19 pews. Stained glass: North East window 1901 by A. J. Dix. Further window by Paul Woodroofe. Monuments: South wall. Wall monuments to Duncomb Stuart, Nathaniel and Anne Stuart 1729. Veined grey marble, round arched panel with darker stone arch. Fluted pseudo- pilasters on white pedestals under keystone arch. South wall: Monument to John and Francis Chatfield 1765. Grey slate with white stone inscription, crowned by draped urn on fluted apron.

PEVSNER: Buildings of England, Surrey (1971) pp 443.

Listing NGR: TQ0512356634

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
288736
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Nairn, I Rev. by Cherry, The Buildings of England: Surrey, (1971), 443

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 02 Apr 2002
Reference: IOE01/06326/15
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Christopher Strevens. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].