CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1188756
Date first listed:
14-Jun-1967
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1188756 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Oct-2019 at 23:54:30.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Surrey
District:
Guildford (District Authority)
Parish:
Send
National Grid Reference:
TQ 01869 54343

Details

TQ 05SW SEND C.P. CHURCH LANE

4/177 Church of St. Mary 14/6/67

GV II*

Church. Chancel c1240, nave rebuilt in late C14, C15 porch to south,and church restored in 1847. Random flint and sandstone rubble, mortar rendered on nave, with green sandstone dressings to east and west ends. Plain tiled roofs with Horsham slab eaves courses on nave. Square tower to west with nave and chancel to east, porch to south. Two stage, battlemented tower with offset buttresses to west end and moulded string course over each stage. Two-light, 3-centred,arched head,openings on each face of top stage of tower: C15 window to west on first stage of 3-cinquefoil lights under 4-centre head with label moulding. Rectangular two-light nave windows under label mouldings with cusped-head lights. Two C13 lancets to north wall of chancel; the window to the east with chamfered and re-bated jambs. Two similar lancets to the south wall.' East window 1819 - inserted into older jambs. These cinquefoil lights and tracery of semi-gothic character in a two-centred arched head. Gabled timber framed porch to south with original moulded wall plates and 5 braced open lights to each side over brick underbuild. Studded door in simple chamfered surround with 4-centre, arched head. Interior: Simple, aisless plan. Old tie beams to Nave roof over embattled wall plates. The beams to west end of chancel on curved braces in place of original chancel arch. Fittings: C13 chancel screen rebuilt with traceried heads to all lights and moulded cornice original. Early C17 wood gallery with turned baluster front to west, extensively restored. Between first and second windows of south wall is C13 Priests door with chamfered sandstone jambs. South wall of the chancel C13 piscina with step-chamfer jambs and pointed head, bowl now broken off. C13 octagonal, lead- lined font, now rebuilt, on centre stem and moulded plinth. C19 pulpit. Monuments: Brass to Lawrence Slyfield on N. side of chancel, died 1521.

PEVSNER: Buildings of England: Surrey (1971) p.450. V.C.H. Surrey (1967 Edition) Vol. III pp 368-70.

Listing NGR: TQ0186954343

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
288758
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Malden, H E, The Victoria History of the County of Surrey: Volume III, (1911), 368-70
Pevsner, N, Nairn, I Rev. by Cherry, The Buildings of England: Surrey, (1971), 450

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 18 Feb 2001
Reference: IOE01/00659/16
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr F Jack Jackson. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].