This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1188810



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Surrey

District: Mole Valley

District Type: District Authority


National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 07-Sep-1951

Date of most recent amendment: 24-Aug-1990

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 290442

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


FETCHAM LOWER ROAD TQ/15/NW & NE (south side, off) 2/55 & 3/55

7.9.51 Fetcham Park House (formerly listed as Badingham College) GV II*

Large house, subsequently school, now offices. 1705-1710, by William Talman, with interior decoration by Louis Laguerre; altered and enlarged c.1870 by Edward I'Anson jun. (Pevsner). Red brick in Flemish bond with dressings of Portland stone, sandstone and terracotta; slate roof, brick chimneys. Rectangular double-depth plan under 2-span roof, on north-south axis, with additions at both ends, added porch to the west front and added bay to the east front. Two and a half storeys over cellars. The west front of the original building now of 4:1:3 bays, with additions of 1 bay to the left and 2 bays to the right; ashlar plinth, raised rusticated quoins, a string course and sill-band, a similar string course above 1st floor, a frieze of terracotta swags, and prominent bracketed eaves; the 5th bay now has a prominent rectangular 2½-storey porch of sandstone ashlar at ground floor and brick above, which has a round-headed doorway with wrought- iron fanlight (matching wrought-iron screens in windows each side) framed by Portland stone Corinthian columns with a bowed cornice serving as a balcony to a tall 1st floor window with segmental-pedimented architrave; and a tall steeply- pitched pavilion roof containing a window with pedimented sandstone architrave and above this an oculus with swagged lead surround. In the corner to the right of the porch is a 1st floor oriel of sandstone; otherwise, all the windows are sashed without glazing bars and have wooden blind-hoods, those at ground and 1st floors with gauged brick heads incorporating terracotta keystones, and terracotta sills and aprons, and those in the attic with architraves matching that in the porch at this level. Mansard roof with 2 chimneys between the ridges and one at each end of the original range. Additions in matching style. Three-bay return walls, that at the south end with a rectangular bay window of ashlar. The east front (including the additions) is symmetrical, 1:4:3:4:1 bays, the centre with a semi-circular bay at ground floor, a segmental pediment above the attic containing an oculus, attic windows arranged 1:2:3:2:1, but otherwise matching the west front. Interior: almost the whole of the ground floor front is occupied by a longitudinal entrance hall, the north end of which has an exceptionally fine early C18 cantilevered open-well staircase with open string, carved brackets beneath lengthened and overlapped returns from the nosings of the treads, 3 balusters per tread (2 twisted and one fluted), ramped and moulded handrail with wreathed curtail, and the cyma-moulded soffits to the upper flight, with carved decoration; the walls and ceiling at this end are filled with large paintings by Laguerre, but the rest of the walls have painted panels replacing fielded panels with grisaille painted statues (which have been relocated elsewhere in the house); and the south end of the hall has a late C19 inserted partition wall with pseudo- fireplace in Jacobean style; the room opposite the doorway has a circular ceiling panel painted by Laguerre, with rich moulded plaster surround, and coving also with vigorous moulded plaster decoration; the late C19 drawing room at the south end has C18-style plaster work.

Listing NGR: TQ1500355674

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 15003 55674


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1188810 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Sep-2017 at 12:37:50.

End of official listing