TOWN END BRIDGE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1189109
Date first listed:
20-Jun-1966
Date of most recent amendment:
15-Jun-1984
Statutory Address:
TOWN END BRIDGE, MAIN STREET

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1189109.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Nov-2021 at 09:06:51.

Location

Statutory Address:
TOWN END BRIDGE, MAIN STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
North Yorkshire
District:
Hambleton (District Authority)
Parish:
Sowerby
National Grid Reference:
SE 43529 80659

Details

SE 48 SW SOWERBY MAIN STREET 2/34 (west side) 20.6.66 Town End Bridge (formerly listed as Pack Horse Bridge, Town End) II

Single span stone bridge. The Sessions of 1672 allowed £10 to be paid towards making Sowerby Bridge a 'sufficient horse bridge'. Span 10 yards, width just over 5 feet. Segmental arch. E Jervoise, The Ancient Bridges of the North of England, 1931, p74 and fig 36.

Listing NGR: SE4352980659

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
333273
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Jervoise, E , The Ancient Bridges in the North of England, (1931), 74

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 19 Feb 2003
Reference: IOE01/10211/23
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr K. Paver. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].