COMMEMORATIVE URNS AT ROUNDABOUT ON JUNCTION OF A30 AND A308

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1189792
Date first listed:
17-Nov-1986
Statutory Address:
COMMEMORATIVE URNS AT ROUNDABOUT ON JUNCTION OF A30 AND A308, WINDSOR ROAD, EGHAM

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1189792.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2020 at 00:57:28.

Location

Statutory Address:
COMMEMORATIVE URNS AT ROUNDABOUT ON JUNCTION OF A30 AND A308, WINDSOR ROAD, EGHAM

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Surrey
District:
Runnymede (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 01584 71890

Summary

Pair of commemorative urns by Sir Edwin Lutyens 1929.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record- This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

The urns, which are by the architect Sir Edwin Lutyens, are situated to the south-east of Runnymede Meadows. They commemorate the donation of the meadows to the nation by Lady Fairhaven (and sons) in memory of her husband Sir Urban Broughton MP, who was known for his charitable works.

Magna Carta, which means ‘Great Charter’, was sealed at Runnymede on 15th June 1215. This was an agreement between King John and his barons and clergy which, for the first time, made the monarch subject to the laws of the land. It also gave free men the right to justice and a fair trial. Over the subsequent 800 years it has influenced many constitutional documents including the United States’ Bill of Rights.

Runnymede today is a memorial landscape to the on-going struggle for democracy and liberty.

Details

Pair of commemorative urns by Sir Edwin Lutyens 1929. Stone block on plinth with recessed entablature as on Lodges crowned with a formalised stone urn on a Laurel wreath. Inscribed 'Donation of Meadows to the Nation in memory of Urban Hanlon Broughton 1857-1929 by his widow and two sons'. Dedicated 18 December 1929.

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 12/06/2015

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
289772
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 09 Sep 1999
Reference: IOE01/02016/13
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs M.A.C. Ball. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].