Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1189920.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Feb-2020 at 16:45:41.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Wellingborough (District Authority)
Great Doddington
National Grid Reference:
SP 88115 64837


GREAT DODDINGTON CHURCH LANE I SP88b4 (West side) 17/111 Church of St. Nicholas 28/05/54


Church. Late C12, C13, C14, datestone 1737 and C19. Regular coursed and squared coursed limestone and ironstone with lead and plain-tile roofs. Aisled nave, chancel, west tower and south porch. South elevation of chancel of 4-window range of C14 two-light square-headed windows. South door with low-side lancet to left. C19 pitched roof with corbelled cornice and ashlar gable parapets and finial. 5-light east window has C19 tracery. North elevation of chancel of 3-window range with one lancet to left and two C14 two-light square headed windows to right with low-side lancets below. South aisle of 3-window range of 3-light windows, one with reticulated tracery, the others with C19 tracery, all with carved label stops. Similar east and west windows. Lean-to roof with castellated ashlar parapet. Gabled porch to left of centre has plain half round outer arch and pointed inner arch with roll moulding and C15 ribbed door. North aisle of 3-window range of 3-light windows, 2 have Y-tracery with cusping and one has reticulated tracery. North door to right of centre under pointed arch. Similar east and west windows. Lean-to roof with castellated ashlar parapet. Late C12 west tower is of 3 stages, setting back at each stage. 3-stage clasping buttresses to lower stage. Transitional west door has triple-stepped pointed arch with 3 shafts; 2 only with capitals. Round head lancet above. 2-light round head bell-chamber openings to each face of third stage. Plain ashlar parapet. Datestone on tower 1737 probably refers to restoration. Interior: 4-bay nave arcades of c.1300: double-chamfered arches with octagonal piers. One pier on south side is earlier with nail head decoration. Double-chamfered chancel arch and triple-chamfered tower arch. Evidence of C12 transept on north side of nave, C19 roof structures. Perpendicular screen, parts reset. Jacobean 2 tier pulpit with hour glass stand. Late C17 communion rail with twisted balusters. C15 font cover has been restored. Late C12 sculpture in vestry is Satan and the apple of Eden. Wall painting south of chancel arch has crucifix with the Virgin Mary and St.John. Stained glass, fragment of medieval glass: in south aisle south-east window. Fragment of medieval floor tiling. (Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, p.232).

Listing NGR: SP8811564837


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, (1973), 232


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 14 Feb 2003
Reference: IOE01/10131/19
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Roger Ashley. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].