PRISON ATTACHED TO NORTH END OF COURT HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1190107
Date first listed:
12-Dec-1985
Statutory Address:
PRISON ATTACHED TO NORTH END OF COURT HOUSE, CASTLE YARD

Map

Ordnance survey map of PRISON ATTACHED TO NORTH END OF COURT HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1190107.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 31-Mar-2020 at 08:27:05.

Location

Statutory Address:
PRISON ATTACHED TO NORTH END OF COURT HOUSE, CASTLE YARD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
North Yorkshire
District:
Harrogate (District Authority)
Parish:
Knaresborough
National Grid Reference:
SE 34903 56880

Details

SE 3456 KNARESBOROUGH CASTLE YARD (south side) 8/93 Prison attached to north end of Court House (q.v.)

GV II

Prison, now veterans club with covered platform. 1786 with medieval foundations, restored C20. Coursed squared gritstone, stone slate roof. Single storey, with cells below; 1 bay with glazed platform to right. Platform on right has 6 steps up to opening in low wall. Main block has 3- light C18 window with transom and segmental arch under hoodmould. Stone corbels support guttering. Hipped roof, small flue pipe to rear stack. Rear: wall of glazed platform on left has blocked flat-arched doorway partly below ground level. The wall has been raised above lintel height; flat coping. Right return: entrance to main block is under glazed shelter, through probably C20 doorway on right. Left return: 2 large round-arched windows with C20 3-light casements with transom. Interior not inspected. The building probably contained 2 cells in the mid C19 and was the Castle Prison for the Forest and Forest Liberty of Knaresborough. Ordnance Survey, Map of Knaresborough, 5 feet to 1 mile, 1851.

Listing NGR: SE3490356880

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
330756
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 08 Sep 2002
Reference: IOE01/05797/06
Rights: Copyright IoE Prof. W J Hume. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].