CHURCH OF ST LUKE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1190319
Date first listed:
17-May-1960
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST LUKE, BANBURY LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST LUKE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1190319.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Nov-2019 at 23:11:11.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST LUKE, BANBURY LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Northamptonshire
District:
South Northamptonshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Cold Higham
National Grid Reference:
SP 66270 53513

Details

COLD HIGHAM BANBURY LANE SP65SE (North side) 7/34 Church of St. Luke 17/05/60

GV II*

Church. C13, C14. Restored, chancel rebuilt, north aisle and organ chamber added 1879 by E.F. Law. Coursed squared ironstone, slate roof with tiled ridges to chancel, copper roofs to body of church and stone slate roof to tower. Chancel, organ chamber, nave, north aisle, south chapel and west tower. 2-bay chancel has 3-light geometrical east window, 1-light window to south-east with cusped heads, 2-light Decorated window to south-west. Tomb recess to south with colonnettes; moulded capitals, hollow-chamfered segmental arch and hood mould framing chest tomb supporting gravestone with foliated cross. Organ chamber to north has hollow-chamfered east door, 2-light window to north with plate tracery and transom and gable above. North aisle has north door with sunk quadrant moulding and 2-light Decorated windows. Nave has south door with sunk quadrant moulding and 2-light Decorated window to south-west. South chapel has 2-light Decorated east window with cusped heads to lights and quatrefoil to head, similar window to south and small low-side 1-light blocked window to south, possibly Saxon, with splayed jambs and pointed head carved of one stone. 3-stage west tower has lancet window to west, blocked 1-light window or niche to middle stage west and small 1-light window to middle stage south with chamfered stone surround and straight head. 2-light bell-chamber openings, that to south, with cusped heads to lights and quatrefoil to head. Plain stone-coped parapet to north and south and saddleback roof with 1-light windows to stone-coped east and west gables. Plain stone-coped parapets to body of church, corbelled stone eaves to chancel. Most windows and all doors have hood moulds. Interior: chancel arch has plain piers, imposts and double-chamfered arch dying into wall. Nave has C19 4-bay north arcade with circular piers and double-chamfered arches. Chamfered arch to south chapel dying into piers with sunk-quadrant mouldings and hood mould, Chapel has piscina with chamfered arch and fine tomb recess to south with triple sunk-quadrant moulded ogee arch with ball-flower ornament flanked by crocketed pinnacles. C19 stained glass windows to chapel. Monuments: fine oaken effigy of cross-legged knight in chapel tomb recess on tomb chest with ogee-headed panels containing shields. Believed to commemorate Sir John de Patteshall 1292-1349. Small brass wall monument with moulded stone surround to Edward Norris, d.l695. Grey veined marble wall monument to John Aylworth, d.1729, with open pediment, painted crest and cartouche of arms to apron. Vertical oval limestone wall monument to Rev. John Nixon, d.1777, with small cartouche of arms above: supporting bracket signed Wm. Cox/Daventry. White marble wall monument, topped by urn, to Rev. John Bishop, d.1817. (Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, 1973, p,15S; Kelly's Directory for Northamptonshire, 1928).

Listing NGR: SP6627053513

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
234664
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, (1973), 153
'Kellys Directory' in Northamptonshire, (1928)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 01 Sep 2001
Reference: IOE01/02379/29
Rights: Copyright IoE Rod Poxon. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].