Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JAMES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1190438.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 20:14:55.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

South Northamptonshire (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SP 63090 41964


SYRESHAM CHURCH END SP6281 (North side) 15/80 Church of St. James 04/02/69


Church. C13, C14, C15, restored by E.F. Law 1874. Coursed squared limestone, tile roofs, except for nave roof of lead. Chancel, vestry, nave, north and south aisles, south-west porch, west tower. 2-bay chancel has 3-light east window with intersecting tracery with trefoils, pointed trefoil lights and hood mould. C19 vestry and organ chamber to north, a blocked priest's door, hollow and ogee chamfered, with hood mould, a 2-light straight-headed window to south-west with hood mould, a one-light window with straight head and hood mould to south-east. Nave has clerestory with 4 small quatrefoil windows north and south and plain stone-coped parapets. North aisle has 3-light arch mullion window to north-east with cut spandrels and hood mould, a similar 2-light window further west, flanked by similar one-light windows, moulded stone eaves and stone-coped gables. South aisle has diagonal offset buttresses, a 3-light straight-headed east window with reticulated tracery and hood mould, a similar window to middle of south side with quatrefoils flanked by similar 2-light windows, moulded stone eaves and stone coped gables. Porch to west end of south aisle has round-headed doorway with imposts and hood mould and is lined with timber; 6-panel double-leaf west door within. 2-stage west tower has diagonal offset buttresses, a lancet window to west with hood mould and 2-light bell-openings with central colonnettes, plain stone-coped parapet and recessed shingled spire. Interior: chancel has painted reredos of 1880 and C19 painted king post roof. Double-chamfered chancel arch, innermost hollow-chamfered on polygonal corbels. Nave has 4-bay arcades with octagonal piers, capitals, double-chamfered arches and polygonal responds. Triple-chamfered tower arch, the inner arch on moulded corbels. C19 Perpendicular style nave roof and C19 lean-to aisle roofs. Norman tub font with rope moulding to rim; from Turweston church, Buckinghamshire. Some traces of wall painting in aisles. Wall monument in chancel of alabaster set up by Francis Sanders to Peter Andrewe d.1612 and his wife Jane. The inscription flanked by pilasters supporting frieze with arms above flanked by obelisks; an alabaster wall monument with arms of Sanders; and alabaster wall monument with inscription to 5 sons of Robert Style, set up in 1718. Painted charity board in tower. (Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, p.422; Kelly's Directory for Northamptonshire, 1928; Parish records deposited in Northamptonshire Record Office).

Listing NGR: SP6309041964


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, (1973), 422
'Kellys Directory' in Northamptonshire, (1928)


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Reference: IOE01/03084/36
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Alistair F Nisbet. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].