CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1190709
Date first listed:
17-May-1960
Date of most recent amendment:
21-Jan-1997
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHERRY TREE AVENUE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1190709.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Nov-2019 at 16:51:29.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHERRY TREE AVENUE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
North Yorkshire
District:
Hambleton (District Authority)
Parish:
Newton-on-Ouse
National Grid Reference:
SE 51094 59935

Details

NEWTON-ON-OUSE SE 55 NW CHERRY TREE AVENUE (west side) 4/22 CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS 17.5.60

GV II

Church. Early C12, 1849. C19 work by G T Andrew for the Hon Lydia Dawnay of Beningbrough Hall. Rusticated rubblestone brought to course with coursed dressed sandstone tower, limestone spire, ashlar dressings and stone slate roofs. West tower, aisled nave with south porch, chancel with north vestry. Decorated style. Tower: plain C12 lower stage with a single, trefoil-headed slit-window to each face and a lower, pointed arch window of 2 trefoil-headed lights and quatrefoil under hoodmould to west face; clock. Upper stage of 1849 has band, quoined 2-light window to each face, coved eaves band, gargoyles, open-work parapet, corner pinnacles and recessed spire (top rebuilt) with thin flying buttresses, lucarnes and weather vane. Nave: 4 bays; chamfered plinth, buttresses, gabled porch; 2 traceried, 3-light, triangular-headed windows to south aisle; 4 traceried circular windows to clerestory; coping; fleur-de-lis finials. Chancel: 2 bays, lower and narrower; central priests door flanked by 2-light windows with head-stopped hood-moulds. East window of 5 trefoil-headed lights with quatrefoil and mouchettes over. Interior: tower arch, early C12, has paired engaged columns with necking, chamfered abaci and plain cornices. Nave: octagonal columns with moulded bases and capitals supporting pointed-arch arcade under hoodmoulds with angel stops. Chancel: south-west window has stained glass of 1827. East window 1848 by Willement. Brass plate to the 6th Viscount Downe, former incumbent of the church (d 1846) and his wife (d 1848). The 1849 church took the place of the one rebuilt in 1839.



Listing NGR: SE5109459935

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
332115
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 18 Oct 2001
Reference: IOE01/05822/26
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Chris Broadribb. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].