Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of WONHAM MANOR
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1190758.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Dec-2019 at 02:10:39.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Mole Valley (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 22154 49780


BETCHWORTH C.P. WONHAM LANE TQ 24NW 6/45 Wonham Manor 11/11/66 II

Country house. Remodelled around an old core, in 1787, for the Hon. Charles Marsham, (later Earl of Romney), further designs presented in 1810 by Lewis Wyatt for C19 alterations. Top storey removed in 1926, interiors remodelled in early C20. Red brick with Roman cement on ground floor right hand return front, and on battlemented parapets. Plain tiled roofs, hipped to centre and left, hipped slate roofs to right and rear. Three storey centre, two storey side ranges with stacks to left and right of centre and to rear. West front:- Three windowed central range with glazing-bar sash fenestration under label hoods and in cement surrounds. Three windows on second and first floors, two windows below. Three- quarter glazed door to ground floor right in chamfered,rendered surround and under label moulding. Flanking bays set back slightly, that to left with pointed oval window on first floor over further three-quarter glazed door, that to right with 9-pane, glazing-bar sash window over 4 centre-arched chamfered surrounds to double doors. Three window range projecting to left with central, tent-roof glazing bar sash angle bay, ogee-head tracery to glazing bars. Similar angle bay window to right hand return wall of extension. South front - octagonal angle turrets with castellated tops, glazed lantern on centre of roof. Seven windows across the first floor, 4 larger, mullioned and transomed casement doors below left. Castellated angle bay to right with one window on each angle wall and tripartite window in moulded surround. Rear:- Ribbed, tent-roofed, trellis work pavilion to ground floor left, scalloped cresting across, between end spiked finials. Ogee-domed cupola to centre under gilt weathervane with clock face and angle pilasters. Lower range to right. Interior:- Largely C20, staircase replaced, but with some panelled walls and lotus leaf capital columns to angle bay windows. Bedroom fireplace white marble with egg and dart and dentilled bands. Foliage and grotesque scroll bands and central relief panel of putti. Elaborate wooden fireplace to ground floor room with scroll garland and floral carved decoration, coloured marble fireplaces in lounge and other rooms. PEVSNER: BUILDINGS OF ENGLAND, SURREY (1971) p.110. SURREY RECORD OFFICE ACCESS. 1059 - Counterpart of Lease dated 1774. MANNING AND BRAY: HISTORY OF SURREY Vol. II pp.212-3. H COLVIN: BIOGRAPHICAL DICTIONARY OF ENGLISH ARCHITECTS p.732.

Listing NGR: TQ2215449780


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Colvin, H M , A Biographical Dictionary of English Architects 1600-1840, (1954), 732
Manning, Owen , Bray, W, The History and Antiquities of the County of Surrey212-213
Pevsner, N, Nairn, I Rev. by Cherry, The Buildings of England: Surrey, (1971), 110


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].