CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1191388
Date first listed:
01-Feb-1967
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE, ASKERBANK LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1191388.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 27-Feb-2020 at 23:07:25.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE, ASKERBANK LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Staffordshire
District:
Staffordshire Moorlands (District Authority)
Parish:
Rushton
National Grid Reference:
SJ 93434 62073

Details

RUSHTON C.P. ASKERBANK LANE, SJ 96 SW Rushton Bank

4/146 Church of St Lawrence - 1.2.67 GV II*

Parish church. C15 and earlier core to fabric dated variously from 1690 to 1848. Coursed and dressed stone and rubble; stone slate roofs; verge parapets on shaped, corbelled kneelers and pinnacles. West tower clasped by vestry and store; nave; north aisle and family chapel; chancel. Tower: of 3 stages and flanked by lean-tos to north and south; the profile from the west is of a gable, set slightly lower and shallower than the nave, truncated below the apex and capped by a shiplap weather- boarded bell-chamber of one stage with shingle roof, gabled north/south; single light, rectangular, projecting, louvred bell chamber openings; rectangular window to north lean-to and under west side of bell chamber, 4-light, labelled chamfer-mullion window to ground floor of west end and arched light, 2-light window adjacent to vestry door, cambered head inscribed on lintel with a shield I L W South porch: gabled and timber-framed, I C M mid-C19 with arch-braces to gable end 1768 truss. Nave: of 4 bays; early C18 remodelling; very low, single-storey eaves line to south, broken by 2, slightly projecting, tall, gabled and pinnacled masonry wall-face dormers dated T S W , 3-light round-arch windows containing Gothic Survival J T M tracery; windows of 3 round-headed lights set below and 1848 to east of each dormer. Ogee-headed south door heavily nailed and boarded dated TWW . North aisle: lean-to, low eaves 1713 of 3 bays; chamfer mullioned 3-light TBC windows; 2-light to west return against tower; single-storey, flat-roofed chapel to east end of aisle against chancel and flush to east end; crenellated parapet set above eaves of aisle; 2, closely-spaced 3-arch light square-headed windows to north side and blocked door with entrance steps to east, set against chancel. Chancel: dated 1690; single bay, of similar eaves height to nave, but shallower pitch; angle buttresses of 4 short stages and 2 massive gable buttresses on plinths and of 6 short stages dated below corniced top stage A.D. - 1848, referring to the buttresses only; labelled and ovolo mullioned and transom 4-light, round-headed east window, dated over TKW 1690; chamfer mullion 2-light window to south; blocked door adjacent to east inscribed in lintel TPW . Interior: 2 king post trusses TCM remain of C15 timber framed church, resting on posts to the north; the west truss is complete with tie, braced king post to collar plate bearing trussed rafter construction; eastern truss has a replaced king post, rising not to collar, but to ridge and with curved arch-struts; rafters invisible beneath barrel vaulted, plastered ceiling. C17 west gallery with shaped flat balusters to handrail; 3-sided bay-front early C18 timber pulpit with free-standing, moulded columns to angles; circular stone drum-shaped font against east wall of vestry; family chapel to north-east of church on raised dais, box pews and panelling to east wall; painted hatchments in chancel; large painted inscription on centre of the beam: "O . WORSHIP . THE . LORD . IN . THE . BEAUTY . OF . HOLINESS".

Listing NGR: SJ9343462073

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
275357
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 04 Aug 1999
Reference: IOE01/01699/02
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John K Pool. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].