Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1191523.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Mar-2020 at 21:11:34.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Barnsley (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SE 28503 07960



10/17 Church of Ali Saints



Church. C13, C15 and 1875-80 by Bodley and Garner. Ashlar except the north chapel of coursed squared rubble. Stone slate roofs. West tower, 3-bay nave, 3-bay north aisle with porch in angle with tower, 4-bay south aisle with porch, 2-bay chancel and south chapel, shorter north chapel. The C15 Perpendicular tower of two tall stages was diagonal buttresses, west door, restored Perpendicular west window of 3 lights and 2-over-2-light bell chamber openings. Restored crenellated parapet with gargoyles and tall corner pinnacles. 3-light Perpendicular-style south aisle windows. Two 2- light windows to south chancel in Decorated style and a narrow, arched door. 5-light east window with a large wheel in head. The two 2-light and one 3- light north aisle windows have square heads and round-arched lights. Two small lancets and a small arched doorway to late C13 north chapel, in the east wall of which is built an Cll cross head with a raised central figure and above this is a 3-light window with Y-tracery.

Interior: 3-bay north and south arcades on round piers. The east end is raised and the north chapel is separated from the chancel by the 2-bay C13 arcade. Glass in one of the north chapel lancets, of 1867, is attributed to William Morris's firm (Pevsner). The west window glass is Pre-Raphaelite in character, was designed by Roddam Spencer Stanhope and shows three figures of the Cardinal Virtues: Faith, Hope and Charity. Several monuments in the north chapel to the Spencer family of Cannon Hall. On the west wall 2 tablets of 1737, one pedimented with cherub supporters. On the north wall a large memorial with 2 child supporters and a serpent issuing from the eye of a skull and a plaque reading "The sting of life is sin". Over the south door of the south chapel is a memorial with 2 child supporters, to Richard Green (d. 1707) and other members of the Green family 1723 and 1733, of Banks Hall. There are 2 fonts the earliest, mid Cl1 (Ryder), is square with cable moulding at the edges. Each face has four sunken panels with relief decoration of crosses, vine scrolls and the west face has 2 beasts. The later font, C15, is octagonal and tapers downwards to sit on a pyramidal octagonal base. The bowl has raised figures on each of its outer faces.

N Pevsner, The Buildings of England, 1967

P F Ryder, Saxon Churches in South Yorkshire, South Yorkshire Archaeological Service, 1970

N Moxon, The Parish Church of All Saints, Cawthorne (Official Guide), 1970

Listing NGR: SE2850307960


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Moxon, N , The Parish Church of All Saints Cawthorne Official Guide, (1970)
Pevsner, N, Radcliffe, E, The Buildings of England: Yorkshire: The West Riding, (1967)
Ryder, P F , Saxon Churches in South Yorkshire, (1970)


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 13 Jul 2004
Reference: IOE01/12668/10
Rights: Copyright IoE Ms Bronwen Stone. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].