Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1191555.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 07-Apr-2020 at 07:27:43.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Doncaster (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SE 50673 07230



5/25 Church of St. Michael 5.6.68 II*

Church. C11 nave, additions of c1200, C15 and C19, restoration 1874. Rubble and ashlar limestone, red tile and sheet metal roofs. West tower, 3-bay aisled nave, 3-bay chancel with north chapel and vestry, 2-bay south chapel. Tower: c1200. Plinth, angle buttresses. C19 west window of 2 cusped lights. 2 offset bands, the upper partly decorated with saltire crosses. Later belfry stage with 2-light openings beneath chamfered, 4-centred arches. East belfry window has carved spandrels and round arch with clock above. Cavetto-moulded course with gargoyles beneath embattled parapet. Nave: C19 south aisle has gabled porch and square-headed windows of 2, ogee lights, south door within porch has colonnettes and moulded arch. Roll-moulded parapet copings. Embattled south wall of nave with parapet against tower being a relic of C11 tower. North wall has small C12 window to right (probably re-set), C19 windows of 3 and 5 lights to left. East gable copings with cross. Chancel rebuilt and separately-roofed south chapel added in C19. Buttresses at junction with nave and at east angle. Hooded priest's door to left of 2-light window, pointed east window of 3 lights. Adjacent bay of chancel has hooded, 2-light window with geometrical tracery. East window of 3 stepped lancets has diagonal buttress to left and buttress. to right with old 5-light mullioned window beyond. Gable copings to chapel and chancel, chancel cross.

Interior: pointed, chamfered tower arch. West arch of c1200 north arcade (pierced through north wall of Cll tower base) has ½ round imposts with broad capitals and C19 double-chamfered arch. Similar imposts to other,later,north-aisle bays; one octagonal pier with decorated capital, pointed arches with step and chamfered inner order. C19 south aisle arcade with quatrefoil piers, moulded capitals and double- chamfered arches. Chancel arch: half-octagonal responds, pointed arch with step and chamfer; south jamb with 4 voussoirs from Cll chancel arch. C19 south chapel arcade has quatrefoil pier and moulded arch. North arcade reuses old semi-octagonal responds, otherwise renewed. C14-C15 font beneath tower: octagonal with wood corona. Pulpit dated 1696 has marquetry panels, carved garlands and cherubs' heads. Late C18 wall monument to Buck family. Thellusson monuments and brasses in south chapel. Brass of 1773 to left of altar. Early grave slabs in nave including one to Richard de Pickburn at east end of central aisle: foliated cross, dated 1421. Other medieval slabs and reused material described elsewhere (Ryder, pp32-33).

Exterior and interior heavily buttresses and shored as a result of subsidence.

P. F. Ryder, Saxon Churches in South Yorkshire , South Yorkshire County Council Archaeology Monograph, No 2, 1982, pp25-34 (full analysis of structure and medieval monuments).

Listing NGR: SE5067307230


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Ryder, P F, 'South Yorkshire County Archaeological Monograph' in Saxon Churches in South Yorkshire, , Vol. 2, (1982), 25-34


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 15 Aug 2002
Reference: IOE01/07420/31
Rights: Copyright IoE Paul Eggleston. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].