Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1191576.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Feb-2020 at 12:12:56.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

East Northamptonshire (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SP 96283 94252


BULWICK MAIN STREET SP9694 (North side) 12/18 Church of St. Nicholas 23/05/67


Church. C13 and C14 restored c.1863. Squared coursed limestone with ashlar aisles, spire and tower. Lead and Collyweston slate roofs. Aisled nave, chancel, west tower and south porch. South elevation of chancel of 2-window range of 2-light windows. Window to left has restored Y-tracery and window to right has Cl9 tracery with quatrefoil. Priest door, between windows, with single chamfered surround. Single-stage angle buttress to right hand corner. Gabled roof with C19 ashlar cornice, ashlar gable parapet and finial. 5-light east window with intersecting tracery with cusping and quatrefoil circle. Flanking single stage angle buttresses. North elevation of chancel has 2-light window, to right, with renewed Y-tracery. c19 gabled vestry breaks forward to centre. Pair of C19 single-light windows, with tracery, in gable wall. Lateral stone stack at intersection of vestry with chancel. South aisle of 4 bays. 2-window range of 3-light windows, to right, with 2-centred arch-heads and panel tracery. 2 stage buttresses between windows and to right hand corner. Lean-to roof with plain parapets. 3-light east window similar to south windows and 2-light west window with quatrefoil circle. Porch, with shallow gabled roof, breaks forward to left of centre. Outer doorway has hollowed and moulded 2-centred arch-head, with semi-circular responds. Inner doorway has 2-centred arch-head with moulded surround, 2-stage clasping buttresses, at corners, and ashlar gable parapet and finial. Bay to left of porch is blank. North aisle of 3-window range of large 3-light windows with 2-centred arch-heads and panel tracery. Window to left restored C19. North doorway, to right of centre, has 2-centred arch-head with roll mouldings and 5 orders of shafts. 2-stage ashlar buttresses at corners and between windows. Lean-to roof with plain ashlar parapet. 3-light east window similar to the south windows and 2-light west window with geometrical tracery. South nave clerestory is a 6-window range of 2-light square-head windows. North nave clerestory is a 4-window range of 2-light square-head windows. Some evidence of re-fanestration to window surrounds. Shallow gabled roof with ashlar gable parapet and ball finial and ashlar parapet to south elevation. Perpendicular west tower, of 4 stages, with moulded plinth. Shallow, 3-stage, pilasters at corners. 2-light west window, in lower stage, has hollow reveals. Doorway, with chamfered surround, in south face, quatrefoils set in square surround, to north, south and west face of second stage, Pairs of tall, 2-light, bell chamber openings, with transoms and cusping, to each face of upper stage. 0uatrefoil frieze with castellated parapet above. Gargoyles at corners. Set back octagonal spire, with roll mouldings to angles. 2 tiers of lucarnes to alternate faces. Interior: 3-bay nave arcade of double-chamfered arches each with one octagonal pier and polygonal responds. The 2 eastern arches are in the tranceptal position and are separated from the other 2 arcades by sections of wall. The north arcade is early C13, with stiff leaf capitals, and the south arcade is Decorated, with hollowed and moulded chamfers. Double-chamfered chancel arch, with polygonal responds, and similar tower arch with semi -circular responds. C19 roof structures, possibly incorporating some earlier timbers. Late C13 piscina with attached triple sedilia, to right of altar. Detached shafts and rocketed gables over arches; 2 with finials.C19 cusped-head recess to return OF chancel arch, and arch-head piscina to south aisle. Retains of rood loft stair in north aisle. Circular font on shaft. Bench ends carved by Reverend John Holdich late Cl9. Stained glass: fragments of medieval glass to 2 south aisle windows.Late C19 Stained glass to east window of chancel, all south aisle windows and 2 north aisles windows. Monuments. Henry Fowkes, d.1612, and wife, wall monument in south aisle with kneeling figures facing each other across a prayer desk. Brass inscribed tablets in floor of chancel. Charles Nettleton. d. 1718, inscribed tablet to right of altar. 3, plain, C18 inscribed tablets to left of altar, Various C19 monuments to Tryon family of Bulwick Hall in north and south aisles, (Buildings of England: Northamptonshire: p130; RCHM: An Inventory of Architectural Monuments in North Northamptonshire: p23; Holdich, Reverend Henry, Rector of Bulwick, Diaries, 1861-81, ms. in parish records)

Listing NGR: SP9628394252


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, (1973), 130
Inventory of Architectural Monuments in North Northamptonshire, (1984)


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 27 Apr 2003
Reference: IOE01/08882/18
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter Lummis. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].