CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1191878
Date first listed:
10-Dec-1959
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1191878.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Feb-2020 at 18:18:48.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Doncaster (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SE 57921 06926

Details

BENTLEY WITH ARKSEY HIGH STREET SE 50 NE (east side), Arksey 7/51 Church of All Saints 10.12.59 GV 1 Church. C12, C13 and C15; restored 1869-70 by Sir George Gilbert Scott. Rubble and ashlar magnesian limestone, lead roofs. Cruciform plan: 3-bay nave with aisles and south porch, crossing tower, 3-bay chancel with north and south chapels. Navel south aisle has chamfered plinth and moulded band; bay-1 porch with responds and carved capitals to a chamfered and quadrant- moulded arch beneath crocketed hood; carved shields beneath string course with carved face; embattled parapet with crocketed pinnacles. C13 south door within has chamfered arch with hood. Other bays have buttresses on right of 3-light pointed windows with renewed panel tracery beneath old hoods; 4-light west window flanked by buttresses. Nave west wall is of earlier rubble with renewed, pointed 3-light window of 3 cusped lancet lights beneath hoodmould; ashlar parapet with cross. North aisle has chamfered plinth, moulded band and offset buttresses; 4-light west window; Tudor-arched north door has hoodmould with large stops and is set beneath window of 2 ogee lights with hoodmould; other bays have 3- and 4-light windows with mouchettes in chamfered, square-headed recesses. Aisle parapets as porch. Crossing: south transept of early rubblework with C12 priests' door on left beneath band; 3-light Decorated window over has pointed arch and hood; low gable with apex finial base; north transept similar. Tower: south-west vice projection and pointed south doorway beneath weathering of an earlier transept roof; cusped iron clock face on south side beneath C12, chamfered slit window; C13 upper stage with 2-light lancet windows with dividing shafts and pierced spandrels all set within round-arched recesses with shafted jambs; oversailing course with gargoyles beneath parapet with crocketed pinnacles; short, recessed octagonal spire with lucarnes. Chancel: embattled C15 south chapel with uncusped 3-light windows having pointed arches and hoodmoulds; east parapet incorporates re-used cross slab, Chancel east end, set back, has C19 three- light window of stepped, round-headed lights beneath continuous hoodmould; vesica to gable with indented copings and apex cross. North chapel: restored C13 east window of 3-lights with intersecting tracery; large 6-light north window has king mullion and Tudor-arched lights.

Interior: aisle arcade piers are octagonal to south and cylindrical to north and have matching responds, various moulded capitals and double-chamfered arches. Round arch of 2 orders from north aisle to transept, a C12 slit window above. Nave has C19 roof; earlier aisle roofs, that to south more heavily moulded. Crossing: altered C12 piers, those to east with C13 shafts set round an octagon; C13 arches, to north and south double-chamfered, the others moulded. Cavetto-moulded arch into north chapel from transept; that from transept to south chapel is double-chamfered. Chancel north wall has half a C12 window embrasure; south wall has half a pointed arch, both sides now with large double-chamfered arches into the chapels. Piscina with half- octagonal pedestal in front; C13 sedilia bench with shaped arms. C19 chancel roof; probably C15 roofs to the transepts and chapels have moulded and cambered tie beams. Furnishings: Decorated screen in south chapel with carved mid-rail and heavy cornice moulding. Carved octagonal wooden pulpit of 1634 set on later base has bracketed book ledge, back board and canopy. Octagonal ashlar font has wooden cover dated 1662 with scrolled frets set around on baluster. C18 aisle pews with scratch-moulding, turned finials and balustrading at east end. Monuments: in north transept a marble wall monument to George Cooke (d.1683) has inscription on plaque beneath decorated aedicule with bust in oval panel and open segmental pediment with cartouche. In south chapel a cast-iron plaque records the gift of George Radley to the poor of the parish in 1824.

Listing NGR: SE5791806924

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
334915
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 05 Mar 2007
Reference: IOE01/15901/18
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David Clayton. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].