POPE'S GROTTO IN GROUNDS OF ST CATHERINE'S HIGH SCHOOL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1192178

Date first listed: 02-Sep-1952

Statutory Address: POPE'S GROTTO IN GROUNDS OF ST CATHERINE'S HIGH SCHOOL, CROSS DEEP

Map

Ordnance survey map of POPE'S GROTTO IN GROUNDS OF ST CATHERINE'S HIGH SCHOOL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1192178 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Nov-2018 at 09:43:34.

Location

Statutory Address: POPE'S GROTTO IN GROUNDS OF ST CATHERINE'S HIGH SCHOOL, CROSS DEEP

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: Richmond upon Thames (London Borough)

Parish: Non Civil Parish

National Grid Reference: TQ1602972791

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

In the entry for CROSS DEEP 22/2 (east side)

Pope's Grotto in grounds of St Catherine's High School The grade shall be amended to II*

------------------------------------

1. 5028 CROSS DEEP (east side) Pope's Grotto in grounds of St Catherine's High School TQ 1672 22/2 2.9.52

II

2. Grotto with rusticated arched entrance facing river, and running under the road to what was part of Pope's Estate on the other side and is now the school playing fields (passage lengthened when road widened C19-C20). Long passage with 2 "chapels" one on either side of entrance. Lined with cement in which are set rooks, stones, stalactites (said to have come from Wookey Hole in Somerset) etc. and the cement worked to intimate rough rocks. There are a few bits of sculpture (statues, etc not good) in the "chapels" The decorations which lined the grotto have long since gone and the grotto is dark and gloomy though dry. The whole is well looked after and preserved by the Sisters. The school and convent stand on the site of Pope's House above the entrance to the Grotto. (Also a smaller grotto in the grounds probably of similar origin.) '

Listing NGR: TQ1602972791

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 205295

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 17 Greater London

End of official listing