SOUTHOVER GRANGE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1192300
Date first listed:
25-Feb-1952
Statutory Address:
SOUTHOVER GRANGE, SOUTHOVER HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of SOUTHOVER GRANGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1192300 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Sep-2019 at 06:05:24.

Location

Statutory Address:
SOUTHOVER GRANGE, SOUTHOVER HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
East Sussex
District:
Lewes (District Authority)
Parish:
Lewes
National Park:
SOUTH DOWNS
National Grid Reference:
TQ 41320 09834

Details

TQ 4109 NW LEWES SOUTHOVER HIGH STREET 14/366 (east side)

25.2.52 Southover Grange

GV II*

House. 1572 for William Newton, Steward to the Earl of Dorset. Dressed Caen stone, removed from the Priory, with coped parapets to roof of Horsham slabs on lower slabs and plain tiles on upper slopes. Various irregular red brick stacks and a pair of C19 gabled dormers with decorative bargeboards. U-plan with wing to rear at left. West front: 2 storeys and attics. Projecting wings to left and right with central recess, filled on ground floor. Fenestration slightly irregular of 2 - 3 - 1 rhythm. Ovolo-moulded cross-windows on ground-floor of wings, with 2-light mullioned windows above, all with hood-mouldings. Small 2-light window with chamfered mullion in garret with hoodmould to right. 2-light window in garret to left, similar to first-floor windows but smaller. 2-light ovolo-moulded mullioned windows in central recess, flanking central window of 3 lights with shield over central light and reveal and hood- mould, continuous over all 3 first floor windows in recess, stepped over. Small central triangular gablet with finial on parapet. 6-light C19 transom and mullions windows with rounded tracery to upper lights flanking rounded Tudor-arched entrance with boarded and ribbed door, moulded surround, florally- decorated spandrela and uncarved shield with light attached over. Continuous hoodmould over all three openings. All windows with leaded casements in iron frames. Small pedimented aedicule on first floor of re-entrant angle of left wing containing shield of lion rampant. North front: Stack on ridge to left of brick with arched panelled sides, over sailing cornice and with C19 bell in gabled wooden bell-cote. Main features of projecting wing to left of centre and two tall stone chimney-breasts to right. Two gabled semi-dormers flanking lefthand stack, both with gable-parapets and kneelers. Two ovolo- moulded cross windows flanking stack with hoodmould continued around stack and over single-light window in stack. Projecting wing with regular fenestration of 5-light ovolo-moulded windows on ground and first floors and 2-light window in garret and two windows flanking at half-levels between ground and first floors and first and second floors, those above of 2 lights those below single. All windows cast-iron casements with leaded lights and hoodmoulds. East front L-plan with projecting canted staircase wing and further gabled wing in re-entrant angle. 2 storeys with attics to right. Irregular fenestration. Interior: Hall - panelled ceiling with moulded beams on shield corbels. Marble fire-surround with Neo-Jacobean overmantel. Dining room - fire surround with stone-moulded Tudor arch, inscribed 'WN 1572' in spandrels and overmantel marked 'Ye Old/Welsh/Parliament/House/Dolgelly'. Staircase - C19 Neo-Jacobean staircase with twisted baluster and early C18 hanging lantern with foliage decoration. John Evelyn, the diarist, lived in Southover Grange as a boy during the early seventeenth century. It was later used as the original of Mockbeggar's Hall in Ovingdean Grange by William Harrison Ainsworth, (18O5-82).

Listing NGR: TQ4132009834

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
293352
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 13 Aug 2000
Reference: IOE01/06690/14
Rights: Copyright IoE Ms Liz Kaye. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].