CHURCH OF ST MARTIN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1192451
Date first listed:
15-Oct-1986
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARTIN, NEW ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARTIN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1192451.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Feb-2020 at 00:44:01.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARTIN, NEW ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Rotherham (Metropolitan Authority)
Parish:
Firbeck
National Grid Reference:
SK 56216 88460

Details

FIRBECK NEW ROAD SK58NE (north side) 3/15 Church of St Martin

GV II

Church. Rebuilt 1820, north aisle added 1844, enlarged 1887 for Henry Gladwyn Jebb by E. I. Hubbard of Rotherham, tower added 1900 in Jebb's memory. Ashlar limestone, slate roofs. 4-bay nave with south porch, north aisle and north-west tower, 2-bay chancel with apse. Nave: chamfered plinth, gabled buttresses to east and west and between windows have chamfered arrises. Gabled porch to bay 2 has chamfered round arch with hoodmould, niche with figure of St. Peter beneath roll-moulded gable copings with cross. Other bays with 3-lancet-light windows having shafted jambs and mullions and round-arched heads. Eaves cornice. Gable copings and crosses as porch. Tower set to rear described from west. Nave west window as south has buttress on right and single lancet over. Tower on left with angle buttress strips and round-arched window with similar paired windows over, hoodmoulds on brackets; string course beneath belfry arcade with shafts, louvres and zig- zag-moulded round arches beneath shared hoodmoulds; corbel table to corniced parapet; pyramidal lead roof with weather vane. Chancel: lower and narrower. South window as nave, sundial on right inscribed 'Erected A.D. 1821'. Round-headed 1-light windows to each face of apse, hoodmoulds. Corbel table to eaves, east cross at hip. Interior: north arcade of 1887 with scalloped capitals to round arches of 2 orders, end arches smaller; round chancel arch of same date. Monuments: at east end of north aisle to John West (d 1659) and wife Frances (d 1657) with Latin inscription in recess beneath archivolt. North aisle wall: 2 C19 wall monuments to the Knight family of Langold. South chancel wall: to Fidelia Knight (d 1671), inscribed black slab in bayleaf architrave. Stone benefactions slab at west end of nave, varous hatchments. Other monuments and fuller history detailed in: C. Stocks, Firbeck and the Three Estates, 1979, pp 38-51.

Listing NGR: SK5621688460

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
335761
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Stocks, C , Firbeck and the Three Estates, (1979), 38-51

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 27 Aug 2001
Reference: IOE01/04541/15
Rights: Copyright IoE Paul Eggleston. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].