CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1192622
Date first listed:
04-Feb-1969
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL, MAIN ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1192622.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 21:06:28.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL, MAIN ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Northamptonshire
District:
South Northamptonshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Farthinghoe
National Grid Reference:
SP 53619 39791

Details

SP53NW FARTHINGHOE MAIN ROAD

5/91 Church of St Michael 04/02/69

GV I

Church. C12-15 with C17 additions. Date stone 1654 and 1871. Squared coursed limestone. Slate and lead roof. Consists of Chancel, South vestry, nave and clerestry, North and south aisles, south porch, west tower. East window of chancel is Decorated, 3 lights with reticulated tracery. blocked doorway in North wall with plain pointed arch and stone hood. In the South wall is a C14 trefoil headed lancet. To the right is the head of a Decorated window with reticulated tracery the lower section now forming doorway to the late Perpendicular South vestry, reputedly built as a schoolroom in the C17. It has windows of 3 and 4 arched uncusped lights under square heads, and a doorway with a 4 centred arch, in the west wall. Decorated and perpendicular windows of 2 and 3 lights in south aisle. C13. South doorway has responds each with a pair of detached shafts. Porch rebuilt 1871 (date stone) in gable re-using C13 and C14 work. West tower of 3 stages has castellated parapet and 2 light Perpendicular bell openings with square. On south face of central stage is a sundial with Egerton coat of arms and date l654. Also a plaque with names of church windows recording repairs to tower. C12 west doorway with plain round arch. In North aisle are 2 Decorated 2 light windows with reticulated tracery (renewed) in North wall. Similar 3 light window in East wall, and Perpendicular west window of 2 lights with square hood for Turret with stairs to former road loft between north aisle and chancel. Perpendicular clerestory windows of 2 cusped lights with square hoods. Interior: early C13 south arcade, 3 bays with pointed double chamfered arches and round piers, one capital carved with stiff leaf, the other moulded. Similar North arcade has capital with primitive stiff leaf carving, the other moulded. The lead corbels in the clerestory are Perpendicular Plain C12 tower arch. Monument to George Rush died 1806. Signed by Charles Regnart of London. Free standing sarcophagus with life size white marble figure in loose robe reclining with slippers on feet and Bible in hand. According to R. Gunnis the masterpiece or Regnart. The effgy is "one of the most remarkable and unusual in England during the early nineteenth century." The wall tablet now dissembled to Henrietta and Catherine Rush died 1801, with mourning women by urn. Stone wall tablets in chacel; 1684 and 1694, inscriptions in oval frames of scrolls with cherubs and swags of fruit. (Buildings of England, Northamptonshire. p.212 R Gunnis, Dictionary of British Sculpture, revised Edition p.317)/

Listing NGR: SP5361939791

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
233991
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Gunnis, R, Dictionary of British Sculptors 1660-1851, (1953), 317
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, (1973), 212

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 21 May 2001
Reference: IOE01/04191/07
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Alistair F Nisbet. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].