CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1192775
Date first listed:
25-Apr-1969
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1192775.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Feb-2020 at 13:37:16.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Sheffield (Metropolitan Authority)
Parish:
Ecclesfield
National Grid Reference:
SK 35302 94221

Details

SK39SE ECCLESFIELD CHURCH STREET (north-west side)

11/134 Church of St. Mary 25/4/69 GV I

Church. Arcade piers of c1200, rest largely Perpendicular. Ashlar sandstone, lead roofs. Cruciform plan: 5-bay aisled nave with south porch, crossing tower, and 3-bay chancel with north and south chapels. A shallow single-bay projection in the angle of each aisle and transept. Chamfered plinth beneath double wave-moulded bands, off- set buttresses between bays, embattled parapets throughout with crocketed pinnacles to all except aisles. Nave: south porch to bay 2 has half-detached angle buttresses with pinnacles linked to wall by small flying buttresses. Similar buttresses to rest of south aisle. Each bay has 3-light windows with transoms and cusped tracery, depressed arches with hoodmoulds. 3-light arched clerestorey windows. West end: recessed, arched doorway beneath west window of 5 lights with panel tracery, 3-light aisle windows. Tower: 3 stages with string course to each. Clock set in lozenge-shaped panel on south wall, 2-light round-headed bell openings above. Gargoyles to string course beneath embattled parapet with 8 pinnacles. South transept: small recessed doorway beneath 5-light transomed south window with cusped tracery. Chancel: 3-light windows to south chapel as aisle, 3-light windows to end bay of chancel withouttnnsom,. East window; 5 lights, panel tracery. Interior: fragment of C13 arch re-erected within porch. North arcade piers cylindrical, south piers octagonal, keeled responds to west wall, double-chamfered arches. Chancel arch with 3 sunk quarter-round mouldings, half-octagonal responds,. Font: octagonal on moulded plinth, bears date 1662, reworked. Rood screen with traceried 2-light divisions, restored coving. Parclose screens with single-light divisions. Stalls attached to rood screen have 2 misericords with heads, heads also carved on arms. Good carved figures on bench ends in the north chapel. A south chapel bench end bears the date 1564. Also in the south chapel, monument to Sir Richard Scott, 1640 by William Wright, restored 1749: Recumbent figure behind 2-bay arcade with taller central column, all set within wrought iron enclosure. Chapels have fine original timber roofs with bosses. C20 nave roof. Medieval glass in bay 1 of north aisle otherwise good Victorian work detailed in Pevsner, Buildings of England : Yorkshire The West Riding, 1967 ed. p190.

Listing NGR: SK3530394220

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
335457
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Radcliffe, E, The Buildings of England: Yorkshire: The West Riding, (1967), 190

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 17 Mar 2004
Reference: IOE01/11146/18
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David Clayton. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].