CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1192820
Date first listed:
07-May-1954
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, THE STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST ANDREW
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1192820.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Feb-2020 at 00:59:44.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, THE STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Suffolk
District:
Forest Heath (District Authority)
Parish:
Cavenham
National Grid Reference:
TL 76360 69682

Details

TL 76 NE CAVENHAM THE STREET

7/12 Church of St. Andrew 7/5/54 - II*

Church, mediaeval, restored 1870. Nave, chancel, west tower and south porch. Flint rubble, with areas of plaster-work; limestone dressings. Plaintiled roofs (the tower roof is flat behind crenellated parapets). Parapet gables; the kneeler stones at 2 south corners of nave have figure-carving, and on the north dog-tooth, all of C13. Early C13 walling to chancel, with 2 lancets and a 3rd blocked; hood-moulded priests doorway. Various alterations throughout C14. In south chancel wall is an early C14 low-side window, containing border glass and the inscription: "PRIEZ POR ADAM LA VICAR". 2 similar windows in nave. Small unbuttressed tower, perhaps of early C14; foundations and gable- weathering survive from a cell at the west end, perhaps a porch with room above; it was demolished by C18. The tower has lion-head gargoyles and restored 2-light belfry openings. A plain C14 west doorway with sub-mediaeval oak-mullioned window above. A mid C14 chancel window has dropped-cill sedila and a linked piscina with crocketed pediment and corner shaft. Opposite is a little reliquary recess. Several C14 windows, some with good but decaying clunch tracery. Simple late C14 north and south doorways, and south porch with pilastered doorway. Late C14 chancel arch, with much-altered screen; painted boarded lower panels; the upper tracery renewed C16, and the strapwork central drop-tracery early C17. Octagonal limestone font, perhaps late C14, with circular bowl. Plain C17 octagonal pulpit. A C15 figure wall-painting on the north wall. In the chancel a wall-tablet to William Webb, d. 1754. In the nave, a floor brass to John Symunt,d. 1588. Flanking the east window of 1870 are 2 panels of c.1800 with painted Ten Commandments.

Listing NGR: TL7636069682

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
275753
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 12 Aug 2003
Reference: IOE01/11109/10
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Tony Wilding. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].