CHRIST CHURCH

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1193071
Date first listed:
02-Sep-1988
Statutory Address:
CHRIST CHURCH, COPSE HILL SW20

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHRIST CHURCH
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1193071 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-May-2019 at 18:02:12.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHRIST CHURCH, COPSE HILL SW20

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
Merton (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 23151 70261

Details

LONDON BOROUGH OF MERTON COPSE HILL, SW20 TQ 2370 7/31 Christ Church - II

Church. 1859-60. S S Teulon, architect. Later alterations including addition of west bay and west wall in 1881 by Charles Maylard. Muscular Gothic manner. Squared, coursed rubblestone. Steeply pitched slate roof to eaves. 6 bay aisled nave, no clerestory. Low square, massive tower over choir, with pyramidal roof and north eastern stair turret with conical roof; bell louvre to each face of tower. Transept to south; north east vestry. Pointed arches with Geometrical and Decorated tracery. Pair of dormers to south side of nave. Interior with chamfered stone piers ;carved capitals; pointed arcade arches more elaborately moulded to choir. Panelled roof with arched braces, hammer beams and traceried spandrels. 5-light flowing traceried east and west windows. 3-light geometrical traceried aisle windows. Blind arcading to walls of chancel. Reredos 1907-12 by E C Shearman. Timber pulpit; blocky stone font; eagle lectern, some Victorian and Edwardian stained glass etc. London 2: South B Cherry and N Pevsner.

Listing NGR: TQ2315170261

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
205031
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Cherry, B, Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: London 2: South, (1994)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].