Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST KATHARINE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1193085.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Feb-2020 at 12:56:10.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Doncaster (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SK 57613 98733



5/46 Church of St Katharine 5.6.68


Church. c1300, C15 and c1530; nave and south aisle rebuilt 1855 by Sir George Gilbert Scott. Ashlar and rubble magnesian limestone, lead and stone slate roofs. West tower, 4-bay nave with south aisle and porch; lower 2-bay chancel with separately-roofed south chapel. Tower: 4 stages; lower part c1300, altered; top stage Perpendicular. Chamfered plinth, moulded band, diagonal west buttresses and string courses between stages. Pointed west door, offset to left, has quadrant-moulded surround as does 3-light window over; Perpendicular 2-light window to 3rd stage. Offset beneath belfry stage with louvred, 2-light pointed windows and string course with north and south gargoyles beneath embattled parapet with 8 crocketed pinnacles. Nave: gabled porch of 1861. Aisle: chamfered plinth, trefoiled 2-light windows with hoodmoulds dropped from oversailing parapet having roll-moulded copings. Square-headed, cusped 2-light windows with hoodmoulds. Chancel: lower, partly roughcast. Two C19 windows to north have cusped intersecting tracery and carved hoodmould stops; similar 3-light east window; gable copings. Wirral chapel, of c1530, is of ashlar with chamfered plinth. 2-light windows to south and east have Tudor-arched lights in hollow-chamfered surrounds beneath basket arches; arched string course over east window; old flush- panelled door to west in hollow-chamfered and roll-moulded surround beneath Wirral arms, another heraldic plaque to south; quadrant-moulded oversailing course beneath roll-moulded parapet copings. Interior: chamfered and quadrant-moulded tower arch. Perpendicular south arcade has octagonal piers, moulded capitals and low double-chamfered arches with hoodmoulds; C19 shouldered-arched window heads. Chancel arch: double- chamfered, the inner order on corbels (that to south with carved head). Chapel arcade, Perpendicular and similar to aisle; to its east is part of an earlier window behind plaster. Font: round base to bowl on chamfered shaft. Fittings: 2 stalls in chancel have misericords with bearded faces of C14; another altered stall of same date. Painted arms of George III (1785) over chancel arch. Hatchnent of the Banks family. Monuments: in chancel, the Wylson tomb: floor slab with Latin rim inscription (Sir William d.1513). In chapel: early C14 effigy of knight with shield and sword; another chest tomb with shields in quatrefoiled side panels. Brass to Benjamin Staveley. Wall monument to William Dixon (d.1783) by Materworth of Doncaster: corniced plaque surmounted by bust set before on obelisk. Carvings over chapel arcade depict Wirral arms and those of Hugh Wombwell of Greasbrough (John Wirral married Mary Wombwell c1520).

Listing NGR: SK5761398733


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 04 Oct 2002
Reference: IOE01/08887/20
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David Clayton. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].