OLD TOWER OF FORMER CHURCH OF ST MARGARET

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1193159
Date first listed:
30-Aug-1954
Statutory Address:
OLD TOWER OF FORMER CHURCH OF ST MARGARET, LEE TERRACE SE3

Map

Ordnance survey map of OLD TOWER OF FORMER CHURCH OF ST MARGARET
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1193159.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Oct-2019 at 05:55:54.

Location

Statutory Address:
OLD TOWER OF FORMER CHURCH OF ST MARGARET, LEE TERRACE SE3

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
Lewisham (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 39026 75724

Details



779/15/L51 LEE TERRACE SE3 30-AUG-54 (North side) Old tower of former Church of St Marga ret

GV II West tower of former church, medieval. The remains of the west tower of the medieval former Church of St Margaret consist of the ground and part of the first stage of the tower, the rest of the church being demolished in 1813. It is of Kentish ragstone and flint covered in Roman cement. The west side has diagonal buttresses and an arched entrance with early C19 hoodmoulding. The south side has a lancet window, and the east side has an original stone arch interrupted by an early C19 brick four-centred arch. The interior has a semi-circular inscription tablet. The surrounding churchyard contains a number of good quality C18 tombs.

HISTORY: Lee old churchyard contains many notable monuments which reflect the area's Georgian past as a place of retirement for City merchants and those involved with Greenwich and the Deptford shipyards. In the centre of the churchyard stand the remains of the west tower belonging to the former medieval Church of St Margaret. It was the first of three churches dedicated to St Margaret of Antioch, and was probably built around 1080, although it was not mentioned in contemporary chronicles until 1275. The rest of the church was demolished in 1813. The outer walls of the nave and chancel have been marked in the grass by single stones. The current Church of St Margaret stands to the south side of Lee Terrace (listed Grade II*). It dates from 1839-41 by John Brown of Norwich, and replaces a church on the same site by Joseph Gwilt, 1813-14, which collapsed. The church was restored and enlarged in 1876 by James Brooks.

SUMMARY OF IMPORTANCE: The remains of the west tower of the medieval former Church of St Margaret, Lee old churchyard, Lewisham, are of interest as the remnants of a medieval church erected c1080 and subsequently remodelled, which stands within its churchyard containing a number of good quality C18 tombs, and close to the current early C19 Church of St Margaret (Grade II*). Surrounded as it is by an excellent set of commemorative funerary monuments, some to historically significant figures, this ruined church tower contributes to a notably romantic and elegiac landscape.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
203327
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 21 May 2003
Reference: IOE01/07975/26
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr George Davey. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].