CHURCH OF ST PETER

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1193248
Date first listed:
07-Dec-1966
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1193248.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Feb-2020 at 00:44:24.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Oxfordshire
District:
Cherwell (District Authority)
Parish:
Stoke Lyne
National Grid Reference:
SP 56652 28337

Details

STOKE LYNE CHURCH LANE SP5628 (West side) 19/109 Church of St. Peter 07/12/66

GV II*

Church. C12 chancel and nave. North aisle early C13. South tower early C14. Major restoration by H. Woodyer in 1868. Squared coursed limestone and coursed limestone rubble. Steeply pitched stone slate roofs laid to diminishing courses and stone coped gables. Chancel, nave, south tower, south porch, north aisle, north vestry. 5-window range. Chancel has a restored triplet of C12 windows and a Geometrical window above. On south side of chancel a C12 priest's doorway flanked by lancets and a C12 window. Nave has two C12 windows on north and a blocked C12 doorway. West end has a 4-light restored window with plate tracery and a C12 window. Lancet window to left of porch on south. Tower of 2 stages has a 3-light reticulated window on south and louvred round-arched windows to bell-turret. Diagonal buttresses, string courses and crenellated parapet. Pyramidal roof with lightning conductor. C19 south porch. C12 south doorway has a roll hoodmould with animal headstops and an arch decorated with zig-zag. Above a niche with round arched head and small C12 figure probably of St. Peter. Chancel has a C19 stone corbel table. Interior. C19 roofs. Late C12 chancel arch with hood mould with nailhead chamfer and 2 moulded orders carried on responds with scalloped capitals. Chancel rebuilt in 1868 re-using the original window openings, except for the rose window which is new and the 3 east lancets, copies of the originals. West window of 1868. Brass to Edward Love, d.1557 and wife Alice, d.1535. Chest tomb to William Holt, d.1582 and wife Katherine. Brasses over it. Wall monument to Susannah Holt, d.1704. Stained glass given by Lady Peyton in 1873. Medieval font. C19 pews. (Buildings of England: Oxfordshire: 1974, p789; VCH: Oxfordshire: Vol VI, pp322-3)

Listing NGR: SP5665228337

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
243702
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Sherwood, J , The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, (1974), 789
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Oxford, (1959), 322-3

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 26 Jul 2001
Reference: IOE01/04175/07
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Alistair F Nisbet. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].