STONE HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1193368
Date first listed:
05-Jul-1950
Statutory Address:
STONE HOUSE, 281, LEWISHAM WAY SE8

Map

Ordnance survey map of STONE HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1193368 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Sep-2019 at 01:43:01.

Location

Statutory Address:
STONE HOUSE, 281, LEWISHAM WAY SE8

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
Lewisham (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 37265 76251

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 01/10/2012

TQ3776 8/D14 4424 5.7.50

LEWISHAM WAY SE8 (North-east side) No 281 (Stone House)

GV II*

Villa. c.1771-3 by George Gibson the Younger for himself. Brick core with Kentish ragstone facing, with stone banding, window surrounds and quoins; hipped slate roof. Parapet lowered and rear bay extended c.1930. Two storeys with set-back attic, which incorporates hidden chimneys. Square plan at angle to road, each side five bays wide, with first floor tetrastyle logia over built out ground floor, bow windows on returns. Ground floor entrance hall with first-floor piano nobile. At ground floor angles stout buttresses curved out at base. All windows with glazing bar sashes, round-headed to first floor, flat-headed to ground floor. Road front first floor blank but for three round-headed windows in bow; four ground-floor windows. South-east entrance front has five windows, three in centre bay, the middle one higher. Four-panel door well set back in moulded wood architrave with cornice over. North-west front with loggia; columns with capitals formed of leaves and florets, as also used by Gibson in his St Mary's church, Lewisham (q.v.). Wrought-iron railings to loggia and wrought-iron screens to heads of round-arched first-floor windows.

The interior is particularly interesting. Ground-floor entrance leads to circular vestibule, flanked by two small square rooms, one leading to the old kitchen and pantry. Some original shelving and latticed partitions survive; doors have been moved and rehung. Vestibule also gives on to tight, top-lit octagonal staircase with vaulted ceiling and skylight. The sides of the stairwell have raised panles and roundels containing, in low relief, neo-classical busts of the Hanoverian kings. Principal flight leads to first-floor piano nobile, a secondary stair continues to the attic bedrooms; both have wrought-iron balusters and a mahogany handrail. Patterned stone sets to floors on ground and first floors. First floor has principal drawing rooms: a circular space separated by open Ionic columns from two square spaces with vaulted ceilings. Domed and fluted ceiling, with some mid-C19 decoration, but with Adamesque, arabesque decoration to surrounding frieze late C18. Handsome marble fireplace with cast-iron firebacks. Adjoining rooms also with good late C18 fireplaces, panelled double doors and dadoes. 'A very personal interpretation of the villa form that had been revived by Chambers and Taylor in the 1750s', Cherry and Pevsner, 'The Buildings of England, London South', 1983, p. 411.



Listing NGR: TQ3719476292

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
203340
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Cherry, B, Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: London 2: South, (1994), 411

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 05 Sep 2002
Reference: IOE01/05382/35
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Hardy. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].