CHURCH OF ST GILES

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1193510
Date first listed:
11-Aug-1961
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST GILES, MAIN STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST GILES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1193510.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Feb-2020 at 00:25:29.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST GILES, MAIN STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Nottinghamshire
District:
Newark and Sherwood (District Authority)
Parish:
Edingley
National Grid Reference:
SK 66508 55862

Details

SK 65 NE EDINGLEY MAIN STREET (south side) 3/26 Church of St. Giles 11.8.61

G.V. II*

Parish church. C12, C13, C14, C16,C17, C19, chancel rebuilt 1844, restored c. 1890 by Hodgson Fowler. Ashlar. Plain tile roofs. Coped gables to west nave and east chancel with decorative ridge cross to east chancel. Single stack to south nave. West bellcote, nave and chancel. Gabled and coped C19 bellcote with 2 arched openings for bells and small arched and cusped opening over. West wall with bands forming a pediment in the gable. The lower part of this wall slightly projects. C12 doorway with 2 moulded orders of chevron, the inner supported on imposts and the outer on engaged columns with scalloped capitals. The hoodmould has worn decoration with remains of decorative label stops. Over is a C19 arched and cusped light with hoodmould and in the gable apex a single small rectangular light. The north nave with large buttresses has in the west bay, which is slightly set back, a single small C12 arched light. To the left is a single C16 window set under the eaves with 2 arched lights under a flat arch. To the left and lower is a single C13 pointed arched light and further left a single C17 window with 3 arched lights under a flat arch. The buttressed north chancel has a single restored C14 arched window with 2 arched and cusped lights, mouchettes, quatrefoil and hoodmould. The east chancel has a C15 style arched window with 4 arched and cusped lights. In the apex is a single small rectangular light. The south chancel has 2 large buttresses, that on the right inscribed "W.M.I.B.C.W. Anno 1639" and "? 1682". Between the 2 buttresses is evidence of a single former pointed C14 south aisle arch now with 2 blocked openings, that on the right C16 with 2 arched lights under a flat arch and that on the left arched. Wall to the east here, under the eaves, inscribed " ? C.B.T.F. Church Wardens 1687". The south nave with large buttress has evidence of a former C14 2 bay pointed arched arcade, both arches now with single large tripartite casements with lead glazingbars. Above that on the right is a single C16 window with 2 arched lights under a flat arch. On the far left is a single small C12 arched light. Interior. Demolished south aisle with evidence of 2 bay arcade with double chamfered arches and moulded capitals. South chancel has an arched recess, originally a doorway and to the left an arched and cusped piscina, the floor here having been heightened. In the north nave is a blocked doorway. Some C18 panelling to nave walls. Late C18 panelled and painted reredos. Ashlar font with octagonal pedestal and shaped octagonal bowl. C17 Cover consisting of 8 open painted ribs forming ogee arches and terminating in an acanthus decorated knob. C19 choir stalls and pews. In the north nave is a board detailing benefactions to the parish and dated April 17th 1895. There is a painting said to be by a 9 year old boy of the church with ashlar and red brick tower.

Listing NGR: SK6650855862

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
242082
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 28 May 2004
Reference: IOE01/12422/03
Rights: Copyright IoE Dr Eric Ritchie. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].