CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1193615
Date first listed:
19-Mar-1962
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, VILLAGE CENTRE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST ANDREW
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1193615.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 27-Feb-2020 at 21:22:53.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, VILLAGE CENTRE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Etchilhampton
National Grid Reference:
SU 04571 60256

Details

ETCHILHAMPTON VILLAGE CENTRE SU 06 SW (south side) 6/169 Church of St Andrew 19.3.62

II*

Anglican parish church. Early C14 and restored 1866, vestry 1868-9 by Weaver of Devizes. Malmstone with limestone dressings. C20 tiled roof but chancel of sarsen with C19 tiles and trefoiled ridges. Nave with south porch, and chancel with north vestry. Nave has 2-light trefoiled windows with square heads and 4-light reticulated west window. Early C14 south door with remains of niche over, formerly containing St Anne. North-west buttress has 3 nodding ogee niches with crenellated corner towers carrying winged angels, all on carved corbels. Two further buttresses to west end and raised bellcote of 2 lights and gabled top. Chancel has paired trefoiled lights in deep reveals and 3-light Geometric east window. Vestry, at right angles to axis of chancel, has canted end and trefoiled lights. South porch also 1866, has narrow lights on sarsen sill wall, timber tracery and shaped barge boards in gable. Interior: Nave plastered. Probably C16 roof of 4 bays with tie and crown post trusses carrying double purlin roof with cusped wind braces. Chancel arch early C14, with residual ballflowers to outer arch and rosettes on impost capitals. Chancel is of ashlar, with a 2-bay roof with heavy wind braces between intermediate rafters. Tomb recess in north wall, and trefoiled niches flanking east window. Fittings: Font: Late C12. Bowl with small trumpet scallops at base, raised on a C19 column drum. Box pews, early C18, to rear of church, with later C18, much restored, further forward. Pulpit C19, oak on stone column. C19 chancel fittings. Monuments: In chancel, north side, within tomb recess a late C14 limestone chest with a knight in armour and his lady as effigies, and 12 weepers below in pairs between buttresses, two pairs carrying (?) headdresses, two with flowers. His head rests on shield, and feet on a lion. She has a cushion. Said to be of the Malwyn family. North side, from east, framed limestone panel, C17, a strapwork cartouche and arms over a central marble plaque with inscription to Gertrude Ernle, died 1662. Tablet, various marbles, C18. Panel with crest and apron, to Margaret Bailey, died 1788. Tablet, C19, white marble on grey, by Harrison of Devizes. Panel flanked by inverted torches. Gable with acroteria over. To Louisa Hitchcock, died 1840, and Elizabeth. Tablet, white marble on grey, to the fallen of the Great War. Wall tablet, white and grey marbles, a corniced panel with tall obelisk over. To James Gibbs, died 1792. South side: From east, two C19 wall tablets, white on grey marbles, the upper a draped urn over a cushioned tablet between pilasters, to Edmund Hitchcock, died 1832, and wife. Below, simple panel to Jane Hitchcock, child, died 1829. Tablet, white marble on grey. Double panel between fluted pilasters, reeded fascia and urn against gable over, to Richard Giddings, died 1796 and later family. Externally to church, a limestone shield on north side, shaped, on bracket corbel. Inscription illegible. Sculpture: In recess of blocked north door, a fine limestone panel ex situ of the Archangel Gabriel, of naive proportions, within a nogging ogee, flowers in moulding to left. Perhaps part of an Annunciation scene from a medieval reredos. Furniture: A panelled and carved C18 cupboard. (Pevsner: Buildings of England: Wiltshire)

Listing NGR: SU0457160256

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
311589
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, (1963)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 11 Nov 2001
Reference: IOE01/05739/03
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr M Reed. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].