CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1193919
Date first listed:
09-Feb-1959
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, THE STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST ANDREW
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1193919.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Feb-2020 at 03:12:21.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, THE STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Oxfordshire
District:
South Oxfordshire (District Authority)
Parish:
South Stoke
National Grid Reference:
SU 59897 83589

Details

SOUTH STOKE THE STREET SU5983 10/144 (East side) 09/02/59 Church of St. Andrew GV II*

Church. C13, with C14 alterations; south aisle widened and arcade rebuit in restoration of c.1857 by J.B. Clancy; south porch possibly by Charles Buckeridge, c.1869. Flint and stone with stone dressings to tower; colourwashed flint and stone with stone dressings to nave; roughcast, probably on flint and stone to chancel; knapped flint with stone dressings to south porch; recent plain-tile roof; roof to tower not visible. Aisled 3-bay nave, chancel and west tower. C19 porch to left of centre of south aisle with 2-centred archway with hood mould and C19 double wood gates. Trefoil openings to sides. Internal segmental arcade to sides. 2-centred arched doorway with hood mould and carved end stops. C19 studded door. 2-light stone window with Perpendicular tracery with flat head and hood mould. Triple-lancet window to right of centre with flat head and hood mould. 2-light Y-tracery window to right. Lancet to right return of south aisle. Chancel: 2-centred arched doorway with C19 plank door to centre. 2-light window with Reticulated tracery to left, 2-light window with Y-tracery to right. 3-light east window with Reticulated tracery. Rear of chancel; 2 lancets. Lancet to left return of north aisle, 2-centred arched moulded doorway to centre of north aisle with C19 plank door with wrought-iron hinges. 2-light windows with Reticulated tracery to left and right. Lancet to right return of north aisle. Tower: square with angle buttresses. 3-light window with Perpendicular tracery to west side. Rectangular window to each side, except to east. 2-light louvred openings of Perpendicular tracery to each side of tower. Battlemented parapet. Interior: piscina to right of chancel. C19 stained glass end good series of C17 and C18 wall monuments to chancel. C14 Early English 2-centred chancel arch on cluster columns, hood mould with foliate ends to nave side. C14 canopied image niches supported by brackets on carved heads to north and south aisles. Fragmentary painted inscription to north aisle. (Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, p.773-4).

Listing NGR: SU5989783589

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
248028
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Sherwood, J , The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, (1974), 773-4

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 01 Aug 2001
Reference: IOE01/05080/29
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs Patsy Perrin. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].