Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1193957.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 07-Apr-2020 at 16:01:02.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

South Oxfordshire (District Authority)
Toot Baldon
National Grid Reference:
SP 56768 00255


TOOT BALDON SP5600 8/170 Church of St. Lawrence 18/07/63


Church. Late C12 and C13, restored 1865 by Henry Woodyer. Limestone rubble with ashlar dressings; plain-tile roofs. Aisled nave, chancel, north transept and south porch. Chancel is almost entirely rebuilt, and has a 3-light east window and a 2-light window to south, both C19 in Decorated style, but the lancets to north and south may be re-set. South transept has a 3-light window with late C13 intersecting tracery. Nave south wall is probably also rebuilt, with Perpendicular-style windows flanking the porch. C13 west wall has a 2-light window with Y-tracery between small lancets, and has a rebuilt double bellcote on the gable. North wall of nave has a Romanesque doorway, a 2-light square-headed C15 window and a C19 copy. Small C19 vestry extends north aisle. Interior: chancel contains an elaborate painted arcaded reredos and complete C19 oak fittings including a C13-style screen. North arcade of 4-bay nave has early C13 stiff-leaf and scalloped capitals; south arcade has moulded capitals. Roofs are all C19. Stained glass in east window of c.1875 by Harwood of Frome Selwood. Other windows include 4 of 1890 by J.P. St. Aubyn. (V.C.H.: Oxfordshire, Vol.V, P.55; Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, pp.818-9).

Listing NGR: SP5676800255


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Sherwood, J , The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, (1974), 818-9
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Oxford, (1957), 55


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 06 Feb 2002
Reference: IOE01/05982/20
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs A H Jacobs. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].