This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST MARY

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY

List entry Number: 1194053

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Oxfordshire

District: South Oxfordshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Thame

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 24-Apr-1951

Date of most recent amendment: 16-Jun-1988

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 248456

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

THAME CHURCH ROAD SP7006SW (East side) 8/29 Church of Saint Mary 24/04/51 (Formerly listed as St. Mary's 8 Church)

GV I

Church. Early C13 chancel, nave, transepts, and tower. C14 widening of aisles, south porch; late C14 clerestory and upper stages to tower; mid C15 reconstruction of north and south transepts; restoration of c.1889 by J.O. Scott. Squared coursed stone with ashlar stone dressings; lead roofs to aisles, roofs of nave, chancel, transept and tower not visible; various stone stacks. 5-bay aisled nave, tower, 6-bay chancel, and transepts. 2-storey porch with 2-centre moulded archway; 2-bay quadripartite vault with carved bosses; stone benches to east side of porch; C19 double plank doors with decorative wrought-iron hinges to 2-centred moulded stone doorway with hood mould having faces to end stops. First floor of porch has ogee-canopied image recess to centre with C20 statue of St. Mary, flanked by trefoiled lancets. 3-light reticulated tracery windows to aisle and chancel. 2-light Perpendicular tracery windows to clerestory of nave. 5-light Perpendicular tracery window to south end of south transept. 5-light rectilinear tracery window to west side of south transept. Plain parapet to chancel, aisles, and transept, battlemented parapet to clerestory. North side: early English doorway with plank door to right of chancel. 4 lancets to chancel. 3-light Plate tracery window to right of chancel. light reticulated tracery windows to aisle. 2-light Perpendicular tracery windows to clerestory. 5-light Perpendicular tracery window to north end of north transept. 5-light Rectilinear tracery window to west side of north transept. West end: west window to nave; c.1672 5-light Perpendicular window with uncusped panel tracery add crenellated transoms. West window to north aisle; 2-light reticulated tracery window. East end: 5-light geometrical tracery window. Tower: 3-light Perpendicular tracery windows to each side of lower stage. Two 2-light stone mullion and transom openings, with reticulated tracery to top, to each side of second stage of tower. Battlemented parapet. Interior; probably C19 Perpendicular-style roofs to chancel, nave and aisles. Late C19 wood ceilings with moulded wood ribs to transepts. Shoulder-arched piscina to right of chancel. Altar tomb to Lord Williams of Thame and his first wife, Elizabeth, to centre of chancel: reclining figures at prayer on richly carved chest, attributed to Gerard Johnson the elder, repaired by Willaim Bird of Oxford after the Civil War. C16 choir-stalls to chancel with linen-fold panelling. C17 chancel screen with linen-fold panelling to base and arcade on decorated columns. 2-centred arches to crossing. Late C19 choir-stalls to crossing. C14 screen to north transept with plank base and reticulated tracery above. Early C18 octagonal wood pulpit and sounding board to left of nave-arch. Font has octagonal stone bowl on re-used C12 and C13 stone work. Church has a fine collection of monuments. 2 windows to chancel by Clayton and Bell, north aisle west window by Morris and Co. c.1923. (Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, 1979, p.806-7; V.C.H.: Oxfordshire, Vol.7, 1962, p.205-10).

Listing NGR: SP7038006317

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Oxford, (1962), 205-10

National Grid Reference: SP 70385 06318

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1194053 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2017 at 05:03:20.

End of official listing