MASTER'S COURT

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1194095
Date first listed:
24-Apr-1951
Date of most recent amendment:
16-Jun-1988
Statutory Address:
MASTER'S COURT, CHURCH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of MASTER'S COURT
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1194095 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-May-2019 at 18:23:50.

Location

Statutory Address:
MASTER'S COURT, CHURCH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Oxfordshire
District:
South Oxfordshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Thame
National Grid Reference:
SP 70382 06191

Details

THAME CHURCH ROAD SP7006SW (East side) 8/33 Master's Court 24/04/51 (Formerly listed as No.14 (Lord Williams' Grammar School)

GV II*

Grammar school, now offices. Dated 1569 to inscribed stone panel to central cross-gable. Rendered stone plinth; uncoursed stone rubble with ashlar stone dressings; C20 plain-tile roof; stone end stacks with brick diagonally-set flues. 2 storeys and attic; 5-window range: 1:3:1. Ribbed and studded door to central Tudor-arched doorway with chamfered surround and hood mould. 2-light stone mullion windows with hood moulds and metal casements to ground floor except C19 angled bay window, with stone hipped roof, to left, having stone mullion windows. Panel with armorial crest of Lord Williams of Thame above door. 3-light stone mullion windows with hood moulds and metal casements to first floor left, centre, and right. 2-light stone mullion windows with hood moulds and metal casements to left and right of centre. Parapetted cross-gable to entry with 4-light stone mullion window with hood mould and metal casement. Mid C19 gabled full dormers to left and right with 2-light stone mullion windows. Interior: mid C16 stone fireplaces to most rooms. C20 staircase from ground floor to attic. Queen post roofs. History: school founded by Lord Williams of Thame in 1558. C20 additions to rear are not of special architectural interest. (Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, 1979, p.814).

Listing NGR: SP7038206191

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
248460
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].