PARISH CHURCH OF SS PETER AND PAUL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1194114
Date first listed:
19-Dec-1961
Statutory Address:
PARISH CHURCH OF SS PETER AND PAUL

Map

Ordnance survey map of PARISH CHURCH OF SS PETER AND PAUL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1194114.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Feb-2020 at 00:33:21.

Location

Statutory Address:
PARISH CHURCH OF SS PETER AND PAUL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Suffolk
District:
St. Edmundsbury (District Authority)
Parish:
Clare
National Grid Reference:
TL 76964 45461

Details

TL 74 NE 18/57

CLARE Parish Church of SS Peter & Paul

19.12.61

GV I

A random flint church with ashlar dressings. The lower part of the tower is C13 and the upper part is of the C15. The south porch is circa 1380, with a groin vaulted chamber above and a vaulted bone house or ossuary beneath. The north porch is of a somewhat later date. In circa 1460 the nave and chancel were rebuilt and the north and south aisles were widened. The clustered shafts of the C13 columns were re-used, with C15 bases and caps. The chancel arch is flanked by 2 stone staircases to the former rood loft and the towers are carried up above the roof and are terminated by crocketted pinnacles. The north and south doors are C16, carved and traceried. The north door has an ogee headed wicket within the main door. The south door has a chapel adjoining on the east side with the vaulted bone house continued beneath it. There is heraldic glass in the east window of 1717 commemorating benefactors, Sir George Hunt Knight, Sir John Higham, Sir Thomas Barnadiston, Sir Stephen Sonnes, Sir William Storton and the Honourable Company of Haberdashers. Part of the C15 roof screen remains in the south chancel aisle and there is a parclose screen with fine cresting. In the south aisle, above the arch to the south chapel there isan interesting Jacobean gallery. The stalls are C17 with parts of the pew ends of C15 poppy-head work incorporated. There is a fine early C16 brass eagle lectern, also used as a money box, supported on 3 collarer dogs. An early C15 octagonal font has a traceried shaft. Above the south porch there is a 1790 sundial bearing the motto "Go about your business."

The Parish Church of SS Peter and Paul with No 15 (The Vicarage), Wall to the Vicarge, Nos 17 to 22 (consec), No 23 (Church Farmhouse), No 26 (The Ancient House) and No 27 High Street form a group. The church also forms a group with all the listed buildings in Church Street.

Listing NGR: TL7696445461

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
282923
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 14 Sep 2002
Reference: IOE01/01809/17
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Neville Broadbent. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].