Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of PISHILL CHURCH
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1194362.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 11:28:16.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

South Oxfordshire (District Authority)
Pishill with Stonor
National Grid Reference:
SU 72636 89849


PISHILL WITH STONOR CHURCH HILL SU78NW (West side) Pishill 5/41 Pishill Church

- II

Church. Norman and late C13, rebuilt 1854 for Rev. C. E. Rucke-Keene. Coursed flint rubble with limestone ashlar quoins and dressings; gabled old tile roof. Chancel, nave and north transept. Gothic Revival style. East window of 3 stepped lancets: south wall of chancel has one- and 2-light lancets. South wall of nave has gabled porch with lancets and pointed doorway to double-leaf plank doors: pointed south doorway to south door. Porch flanked by lancet and 3-light ogee-headed window. Lean-to north vestry has 2-light lancet and shoulder-headed doorway to ribbed door. North transept has one- and 2-light trefoil-headed windows and C13 trefoil-headed north-west window. Louvred bellcote over 2 lancets in west gable. Interior: fine tile reredos, 1873 by Powell and Sons. Mid C19 chancel roof, pulpit, lectern, benches and organ. C14 octagonal font with mid C19 cover. Nave has wall brass to Rev. C.E. Rucke-Keene, d.1880, and north transept (Stonor Aisle) has floor tablets to Simon Doe, d.1659, and one dated 176. North transept roof retains C16 arch-braced collar-truss. Stained glass: fine chancel windows of 1871, south-west window of 1967 by John Piper, window east of porch by Cox and Son. (Buildings of England: Berkshire, pp.731-2; V.C.H.: Oxfordshire, Vol.VIII, p.137).

Listing NGR: SU7263689849


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Berkshire, (1966), 731-2
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Oxford, (1954), 137


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 01 Mar 2007
Reference: IOE01/15722/34
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Cano-Lopez. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].