Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of SCHOLA EUROPAEA
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1194452.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 27-Feb-2020 at 01:38:33.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

South Oxfordshire (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SU 51465 95454


CULHAM ABINGDON ROAD SU59NW (North side) 2/31 Schola Europaea

_ II

Teachers' Training College, now multi-lingual school. c.1852 by Joseph Clarke, with C20 additions and alterations. Squared coursed stone; old plain-tile complex roof; various stone lateral and ridge stacks. Lead and copper lantern on ridge to left of centre. U-shaped courtyard plan with attached chapel; later additions closing courtyard. High Victorian Gothic style. 2 storeys and attic; 24-window range. Glazed C20 double doors to 2-centre arched doorway to right of centre. Complex fenestration: mostly stone mullion and transom windows to ground floor; trefoil lancets to first floor; gabled dormers to roof. Chapel attached by covered cloister to right: 4 bays with extension and internal re-arrangement c.1960 by Seely and Paget. Early English style. Plate tracery windows. Interior: several stone dog-leg staircases with wrought iron balusters and moulded wood handrails. Some C19 fireplaces. C20 extensions and additions to rear are not of special architectural interest. History: founded as the Diocesan Training college for Schoolmasters. Foundation stone laid on the 28th October 1851 by Bishop Wilberforce. (Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, 1974, p.566; V.C.H.: 0xfordshire, Vol.7, 1962; p.38-9).

Listing NGR: SU5146595454


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Sherwood, J , The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, (1974), 566
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Oxford, (1962), 38-9


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 31 Mar 2005
Reference: IOE01/13889/27
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs A H Jacobs. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].