CHRIST CHURCH

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1194686
Date first listed:
13-Feb-1985
Statutory Address:
CHRIST CHURCH, CORSHAM ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHRIST CHURCH
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1194686.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 07-Apr-2020 at 16:00:05.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHRIST CHURCH, CORSHAM ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Melksham Without
National Grid Reference:
ST 88863 65720

Details

ST 96 NE MELKSHAM WITHOUT CORSHAM ROAD (east side) Shaw

1/181 Christ Church



II*

Anglican Parish church. 1837, chapel rebuilt 1905. By C. E. Ponting at a cost of £20,000 paid for by Charles Awdry. Squared rubblestone with ashlar buttresses. Westmorland slate roof over timber framed clerestory. Consists of 5 bay nave with north-west tower, short transepts and apsidal east end. Arts and Crafts Gothic. Perpendicular-style door at base of tower has decorated spandrels and polygonal pilasters with statues of Angel Gabriel and Mary above. 4 stage tower has plain buttresses carried to top with life-size statues of saints and prophets on top of each of 8 buttresses. Two 2-light Gothic windows above string course of top stage. 4 carved rainwater spouts are winged-beasts. Pierced embattled parapet with oak shingled needle spire. West window in late Gothic style with good stained glass by H. Wilkinson, a 1914- 18 War Memorial. Square vestry to south west corner has hipped slate roof and raked buttresses. Nave has 5 Decorated-style windows to aisles, separated by pilasters. Clerestory is timber framed with roughcase panels and four 3-light square headed windows. South transept has rose window and 2 lancets. Apsidal east end has 4 tall 2-light Perpendicular-style windows separated by pilasters. Decorated lead fleche over crossing. Interior: Porch below west tower has ribbed vaulted ceiling on corbels. Nave and clerestory are oak timber-framed with chamfered aisle posts and arched braced arcade. Roof has arched braced tie beam trusses with queen posts and decorated spandrels. All windows have square-headed openings. Carved oak screen encloses chancel on 3 sides and is especially elaborate on nave-side. Fine reredos of carved oak with statues of The Apostles in niches, with Christ in the centre and St. Michael above, by Messrs. Martyn and Co., of Cheltenham. Sedilia and piscina. Brass candelabra from Melksham St. Michael's. Carved oak choir stalls. Nave pews are Victorian and from earlier chapel. Good stained glass of late C19 and early C20 in aisle windows depict saints and are memorials to members of the Awdry and Steadman families. 1908 watercolour by John Creswell, at west end of south aisle, depicts interior as rebuilt by Ponting. (N. Pevsner and B. Cherry, Buildings of England: Wiltshire, 1975) Particularly good history of this church is framed and hung in west end of nave.

Listing NGR: ST8886365720

This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 26 October 2017.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
314398
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, (1963)
Websites
War Memorials Online, accessed 26 October 2017 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/241219
War Memorials Register, accessed 26 October 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/24329

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 05 Oct 1999
Reference: IOE01/00989/18
Rights: Copyright IoE Trevor Smithers. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].