RING O' BELLS PUBLIC HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1194999
Date first listed:
22-Dec-1953
Date of most recent amendment:
13-Mar-1995
Statutory Address:
RING O' BELLS PUBLIC HOUSE, 52 AND 54, KING STREET

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1194999.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Apr-2021 at 23:36:28.

Location

Statutory Address:
RING O' BELLS PUBLIC HOUSE, 52 AND 54, KING STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lancashire
District:
Lancaster (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SD 47614 61502

Details

LANCASTER

SD4761NE KING STREET 1685-1/7/144 (West side) 22/12/53 Nos.52 AND 54 Ring o' Bells Public House (Formerly Listed as: KING STREET The Ring o' Bells)

GV II*

House, now public house. Mid C18, altered C19. Sandstone ashlar with ashlar dressings. Slate roof. Double-depth plan with rear central extension. 3 storeys and 4 bays, over cellar. Raised quoins to the left corner, bands on 2 levels, and moulded eaves cornice. The principal entrance, a recessed porch in the 2nd bay, has an unusually fine pedimented doorcase with fluted Doric engaged columns, triglyph frieze with carved military trophies between the triglyphs, and prominent segmental pediment with mutules. To the right, the 4th bay has a doorway with a simple moulded surround and an overlight with margin panes. The 1st and 3rd bays have shuttered cellar openings. All the windows are sashed without glazing bars and have moulded architraves, projecting moulded sills and aprons. Gable chimney stacks. Rear. Central extension under carried-down roof, with a flat-faced flush-mullion 2-light window at 1st floor, and similar windows on each floor to the left and at 1st floor to the right. INTERIOR: dogleg staircase with closed string and turned balusters.

Listing NGR: SD4761461502

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
383178
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 04 Apr 2007
Reference: IOE01/16423/36
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Chris Thoume. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].