This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

ALMEIDA THEATRE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: ALMEIDA THEATRE

List entry Number: 1195445

Location

ALMEIDA THEATRE, ALMEIDA STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: Islington

District Type: London Borough

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 29-Sep-1972

Date of most recent amendment: 30-Sep-1994

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 368492

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ISLINGTON

TQ3183NE ALMEIDA STREET 635-1/59/6 (South side) 29/09/72 Almeida Theatre (Formerly Listed as: ALMEIDA STREET Warehouse of Beck's British Carnival Novelties Limited)

GV II

Former Islington Literary and Scientific Institute; subsequently used as a music hall from 1874, as a Salvation Army citadel from 1890, when the interior was considerably altered, as a warehouse from 1956, and as a theatre from 1980. c.1837 by Robert Lewis Roumieu and Alexander Dick Gough. Built by W.S.Dove. Stucco scored as ashlar, roofs of Welsh slate so far as visible. Two storeys over basement, five bays to Almeida Street forming a symmetrical facade, the middle three bays projecting. In a stripped Classical style, the capitals consisting of rectilinear mouldings simply stepped-out, and pediments of unmoulded blocks. Steps up to original entrances either side of the main front in single-storey wings: flat-arched under porches with antae, entablature and block pediment to blocking course; panelled doors of original design. Additional doors to second and fourth bays, the other openings 4/4 sashes. All openings flanked by pilasters with stepped capitals, the projecting centrepiece flanked by giant antae rising through two storeys. On the first floor the order is the same except that the middle three windows are stepped back to create a distyle arrangement of antae. Entablature and blocking course with central pediment. INTERIOR: in the 1890s the auditorium was reversed in direction from the original lecture hall, and now has a gallery carried on cast-iron columns at the northern end, the balcony being five sides of an octagon in plan with its front face decorated with anaglypta. (Historians' file, English Heritage London Division; Almeida Theatre. The building and its past (leaflet)).

Listing NGR: TQ3164783990

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 31647 83990

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1195445 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Aug-2017 at 06:48:44.

End of official listing