This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1195537



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: Islington

District Type: London Borough


National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 27-Aug-1957

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 368748

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


TQ3282SE 635-1/76/257

ISLINGTON CITY ROAD (West side) Armoury House 27/08/57

GV II* Headquarters of the Honourable Artillery Company. Central block of 1734-6; flag-tower of 1806; wings to either side of 1828, raised from two to three storeys in 1894; gabled two-storey wing to left of late C19 or early C20 date in its present form; one- and two-storey wings to right of very late C19 or early C20.

Brown brick to the central block, yellow brick to wings for the most part, both set in Flemish bond with dressings of Portland stone, and roofs of Welsh slate so far as visible. The central block of two storeys and five bays, double-fronted; three storeys and five bays to wings. The central three bays of the central block project slightly with chamfered quoins to these bays and to the outer corners of the building; the wings are set back, the linking wing set back a little further. Prostyle Doric porch with triglyph frieze to entablature, and iron railings with urn finials above; scrolled wrought-iron lampholder projects from entablature. Ground-floor windows to central block flat-arched with double keystones, 12/12 sashes of original design adapted, and iron window guards; first-floor windows round-arched with gauged brick heads, imposts and double keystones; cornice; parapet with stone grenades as finials; central copper-covered flag-tower on the ridge of the roof; end stacks. The wings have flat-arched windows with gauged brick heads and double keystones to all floors; sill band to first and second floors; cornice and blocking course.

INTERIOR: entrance hall panelled and tunnel-vaulted in the 1930s with wrought-iron gates of c1740 presumably ex situ. The Queen's Room to right of entrance hall has moulded panelling and a late C18 or early C19 cast-iron grate in a Victorian neo-Jacobean fireplace. The Albert Room to the rear, originally a drill hall built in the mid-C19, unaltered with simple metal trusses to mansard and gabled roofs. The staircase hall has dog-leg stair with panelled dado, turned newels, fluted column-on-vase balusters, and closed string; Palladian window to half-landing with stained glass war memorial window of c1950. The Long Room fills the whole of the first-floor front of the original building: full-height fielded panelling of 1919 incorporating original architraves to doorways with pulvinated frieze, pediment and original panelled doors. Chimneypieces at east and west end of late C18 or early C19 date with good C18 cast-iron grates and painting of the Royal Arms of 1736 over; musicians' gallery to north side of late C18 date by Richard Pepys. Court Room to rear west side: C18 panelling, the deep frieze filled with grisaille paintings on a military theme of late C18 date; outstanding wooden chimneypiece with scrolled consoles and low-relief carving of arms and arabesques, with a C18 cast-iron grate and medallion portrait of George II in a rococo frame above; double cornice of guilloche and palm-leaf ornament; roundels of acanthus and guilloche to the ceiling; President's chair at the north end under a double-ogee canopy carried on columns that are trefoiled in plan, with the arms of the Company painted at the back; Coade stone Royal arms above. A number of early C19 cast iron fireplaces in the wings. (Information from the archivist, Honourable Artillery Company).

Listing NGR: TQ3271482186

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 32714 82186


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1195537 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2017 at 01:00:59.

End of official listing