OLD RED LION PUBLIC HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1195738
Date first listed:
30-Sep-1994
Statutory Address:
OLD RED LION PUBLIC HOUSE, 418, ST JOHN STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of OLD RED LION PUBLIC HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1195738 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Sep-2019 at 01:41:42.

Location

Statutory Address:
OLD RED LION PUBLIC HOUSE, 418, ST JOHN STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
Islington (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 31481 83097

Details

ISLINGTON

TQ3164SW ST JOHN STREET 635-1/64/829 (East side) No.418 Old Red Lion Public House

GV II

Public house. Dated 1899. By Eedle and Myers for Charles Dickerson and John William North, victuallers. Ground-floor pub front of polished granite and stucco, brick upper floors of front elevation rendered in banded stucco rustication and pilasters divided by rubbed and finely cut red brick panels, some terracotta decoration; roof obscured by parapet. Pub occupies ground and 1st floors; upper floors residential. Free-Classical style with Neo-Jacobean and other Renaissance motifs. Four storeys; 3-window range including a narrower and canted far right bay, 2nd and 3rd storeys 2:2:1. Elaborate main entrance to far right canted bay, subsidiary entrances to other bays. Banded stucco and panelled pilasters dividing windows are carried up in successive orders from ground to parapet; storeys articulated horizontally by moulded stucco sill bands. 1st floor with elliptical and round-arched casement windows with fanlights: radiating stucco banding to heads and prominent keystones that rise to the 2nd floor sill band; pilaster shafts composed of terracotta lions. 2nd floor with round-arched architraved and keystoned casement windows with plain fanlights and 2nd floor cornice with egg and dart moulding. 8/1 architraved sashes to 3rd floor. Balustraded parapet with shaped brick name panel as gablet inscribed in Arts and Crafts lettering: 'THE OLD RED LION 1415 REBVILT 1899'; ball and pyramid finials. Elaborate relief-decoration of moulded brickwork below gablet, with 2 lions, initials ("D" & "N") and leaves. Ground-floor pub front of period: bays filled with original glazing and grained woodwork articulated by pilasters with polished red granite shafts, black granite bases and decorative stucco capitals. Deeply recessed segmental-arched main entrance with pair of original panelled doors with glazing and plain overlight flanked by 1/2 chamfered piers of same materials as pilasters; richly animated stucco relief with foliated scrolls and centre masque to shaped panel above entrance. Other bays with identical pairs of original doors with glazing, overlights and plain glazed windows of original design; painted mirrored glass fascia reading: 'CHARRINGTON OLD RED LION'. Wrought-iron bracketed wall lanterns to ground-floor pilasters. INTERIOR: : much of the original interior survives including barback and division screens. (Historians file-London Division of English Heritage: Harwood, E: Old Red Lion Public House, 418 St. John Street, Islington: 1990-).

Listing NGR: TQ3148183097

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
369300
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 21 Aug 2000
Reference: IOE01/02843/28
Rights: Copyright IoE Peter Fuller. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].