Church of St Bartholomew

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1195835
Date first listed:
02-Oct-1951
Statutory Address:
Church of St Bartholomew, Norton Lane

Map

Ordnance survey map of Church of St Bartholomew
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1195835.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Feb-2020 at 18:17:11.

Location

Statutory Address:
Church of St Bartholomew, Norton Lane

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
City of Stoke-on-Trent (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SJ 89403 51481

Details

SJ 85 SE 613-1/2/108

STOKE ON TRENT NORTON IN THE MOORS Norton Lane (west side) Church of St Bartholomew

02/10/51

II Parish Church. 1738 by Richard Trubshaw, the chancel and its chapels rebuilt 1914 by J.H Beckett. Brick with stone dressings. West tower, nave and two aisles, chancel.

West tower of two stages with stone string courses, and angle pilasters capped by ball finials above the parapet. Doorway with segmentally-arched head and large voussoirs. Circular and round-arched openings above. Blind windows in west walls of aisles, which have stone quoins, plinths and cornice. Aisles of three bays with brick aprons and stone sills to round-arched windows. South aisle chapel probably added with chancel in 1914, with Palladian window in south wall. The north aisle chapel has paired hipped roofed bays and was added in 1916. Chancel also an addition, with Palladian east window with stone apron and cross in pedimented east gable.

Listing NGR: SJ8940351481

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
384462
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Staffordshire, (1974)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 09 May 2001
Reference: IOE01/03970/04
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Clive Shenton. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].