Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Date of most recent amendment:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1195854.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 29-Sep-2020 at 06:24:31.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

City of Stoke-on-Trent (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SJ 91295 43256



SJ94SW UTTOXETER ROAD, Longton 613-1/7/97 (South West side) 19/04/72 Former Gladstone and Park Place (Roslyn) Works (Formerly Listed as: UTTOXETER ROAD, Longton Former Gladstone Works)


Former Pottery works, now a working museum complex comprising 2 former pot banks. Main complex is former Gladstone works, the present buildings largely of c1860 and later, but incorporating elements of earlier structures and a tradition of use of the site going back to the late C18. Main entrance block fronts Uttoxeter Road, and was built c1860. 3-storeyed, 10 bays with wide carriage entry to the left with stuccoed quoins, with 2 round-arched windows and a doorway with fanlight and stuccoed quoins alongside. Other ground floor windows inserted, but upper storeys have sash windows with margin lights, with a continuous sill band and hood moulds with shield stops. Fixed-light windows with stone and concrete lintels in the rear elevation, and inserted doorway giving present entrance to museum. Long 3-storeyed rear wing. This range housed warehouses, offices and administration. Adjoining it to the SE is the main range of the Roslyn Works, separated from the Gladstone works and built in the later C19. Three-storeyed, 12 bays with carriage door giving access to rear courtyard and weighbridge, with tripartite windows over, and fixed-light windows with stuccoed lintels and sills, moulded to ground floor. To the rear left, a range running at right-angles contains two biscuit kilns of c1940, incorporated in the building, with hovels only at upper level. Small courtyard with 3-storeyed workshop ranges. The workshop ranges of the Gladstone works are arranged in the rear courtyard: the earliest range is c.1840, and forms the western boundary of the site. Altered ground floor, with 7 large workshop windows over, and upper doorways. Further workshop ranges added to north and south later in the C19. East of this building, a biscuit kiln, with bulbous narrow necked hovel, first recorded on this site in 1856. To the rear of the Red House (qv), a decorating (muffle) kiln with tall stepped flue. To the south of the site, the engine house and adjoining workshop range were built c1878. The engine house is now missing its upper storey, and the workshop range behind it has been extensively rebuilt. To the east of the site, 2 kilns in wide circular hovels, probably late C19, but representing the rebuilding of earlier structures, first recorded on the site in 1815. They are linked by a further 2-storeyed workshop range (recently extensively rebuilt), and a further workshop block running south links with another bottle oven, also probably a late C19 rebuilding of an earlier structure.

Listing NGR: SJ9129543256


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 27 Aug 2003
Reference: IOE01/11042/20
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Donald Pittman. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].