GUILDHALL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1196492
Date first listed:
22-May-1972
Statutory Address:
GUILDHALL, MARKET PLACE

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1196492.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Aug-2020 at 21:19:11.

Location

Statutory Address:
GUILDHALL, MARKET PLACE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Cornwall (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Helston
National Grid Reference:
SW 65934 27471

Details

HELSTON

SW6427 MARKET PLACE 631-1/4/148 Guildhall 22/05/72

GV II*

Guildhall. 1839. By George Wightwick. Granite ashlar with rock-faced plinth; rustication to ground floor of front; moulded architraves, moulded mid-floor string and eaves; moulded triangular pediment fronting low-pitched roof. Rectangular plan. Neo-classical style. 2-storey pedimented front of 3 bays. Pediment with central clock flanked by carved winged figures over Doric frieze with triglyphs (returned to sides as part of parapet entablature); central date; 3 first-floor 12-pane hornless sashes with moulded architraves and hoods framed by distyle in antae with fluted Doric columns. Ground floor has 3 pilastered doorways with solid triangular pediments on consoles; original overlights and pairs of panelled doors. Other elevations well-detailed and complete. Side walls with articulated bays and tall sashes. Basement also has original sashes. INTERIOR: council chamber with columns of former gallery but later floored in; original plaster ceiling to the now separate room above. Part of a fine group, including the market hall (now the Museum (qv)), which were built at the height of Helston's prosperity resulting from the tin-mining industry. (Colvin H: A Biographical Dictionary of British Architects 1600-1840: London: 1978-: 890).

Listing NGR: SW6593427471

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
385498
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Colvin, H M, A Biographical Dictionary of British Architects 1600-1840, (1978), 890

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 29 Jun 2003
Reference: IOE01/09361/23
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr George A. Taylor. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].