CHURCH OF ST PETER

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1196883
Date first listed:
10-Jun-1952
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER, ST PETER'S SQUARE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1196883.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Nov-2019 at 22:16:33.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER, ST PETER'S SQUARE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
County of Herefordshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Hereford
National Grid Reference:
SO 51156 40014

Details

HEREFORD

SO5140SW ST PETER'S SQUARE 683-1/8/296 (North side) 10/06/52 Church of St Peter

GV II*

Parish church. Late C13/early C14, restored c1885 by Nicholson. Ashlar sandstone, and rubble; slate roof. PLAN: nave, chancel, south aisle, and tower with spire. EXTERIOR: south front: 3 stained-glass windows under moulded pointed arches; porch with wrought-iron gates; stepped buttresses; corner buttresses with finials to tower; ribbed spire with weather-vane. East front: Perpendicular window under semicircular arch, in coursed dressed stone. INTERIOR: C15 stalls and misericordes; contains work by Grinling Gibbons (the Royal Arms of William III and the panels to the pedal organ in the chancel). HISTORICAL NOTE: the C14 spire of this church contains C14 bell which is thought to have been the "Common Bell" used to give warning of danger to the citizens of Hereford. (Duncumb J: History of the County of Hereford: 1804-: 597; RCHME).

Listing NGR: SO5115640014

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
372483
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Herefordshire I South West, (1931)
Duncumb, J, History of the County of Hereford, (1804), 597

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 29 Oct 2006
Reference: IOE01/16028/03
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Burrows. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].