RUINS OF DORMITORY OF FORMER PRIORY OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1197011
Date first listed:
13-Nov-1972
Date of most recent amendment:
11-Apr-1994
Statutory Address:
RUINS OF DORMITORY OF FORMER PRIORY OF ST MARY

Map

Ordnance survey map of RUINS OF DORMITORY OF FORMER PRIORY OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1197011.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 29-Feb-2020 at 13:33:24.

Location

Statutory Address:
RUINS OF DORMITORY OF FORMER PRIORY OF ST MARY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Cumbria
District:
Carlisle (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
NY 39887 55924, NY 39896 55929

Details

CARLISLE

NY3955NE THE ABBEY 671-1/10/20 Ruins of Dormitory of former Priory 13/11/72 of St Mary (Formerly Listed as: THE ABBEY Remains of Cathedral Cloisters)

GV I

Dormitory (or dorter) for the Priory of St Mary, now in ruins. Mid or late C13. Large blocks of red sandstone with ashlar dressings. This former 2-storey building extended in a north-south alignment from the south transept of the Cathedral and joined the Fratry at right angles, forming the east range of the Cloisters. The west wall survives in part at ground floor level and has a pointed-arched doorway with trumeau; this gave access through the undercroft as a vestibule for the Chapter House opposite. The east wall has almost entirely gone, only the pointed-arched doorway into the Chapter House survives. Inside the west wall are the springers for the rib vaulting of the undercroft, which continue along the east wall of the Fratry; on the inside of the east wall is a further springer. On the east side of the Chapter House doorway (inside the Chapter House) is the beginning of the ribbed blind arching. Excavations (unpublished) in the 1950s revealed the ground level one metre below the present surface with medieval tiles in place in the Chapter House (now lifted). The slype arches which continued the wall to link with the Cathedral on the north were removed in 1809 as part of the new layout of the Cathedral grounds (see Carlisle Journal, 15 April 1809). For proposals to convert the ruins into the Cathedral Library in 1693, see JH Martindale, CWAAS, Trans.NS, XXIV. An engraving from a drawing by Thomas Hearne shows the ground floor intact in 1777 and a similar drawing viewed from the Cloisters by Robert Carlyle c1791, are in Carlisle Museum. (Cumb. & West. Antiquarian & Archaeological Soc. New Series: Martindale JH: XXIV: Remains of Conventual Buildings, Augustin.Priory, Carlisle: P.1-16).

Listing NGR: NY3989655929

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
386595
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Carlisle Journal' in 15 April, (1809)
'Transactions Cumberland and Westmorland Antiquarian and Archaeological Society' in Transactions Cumberland and Westmorland Antiquarian and Archaeological Society, , Vol. 24, (), 1-16

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 10 Sep 2003
Reference: IOE01/11320/28
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Gordon Furness. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].