DARTMOUTH CASTLE AND GUN PLATFORMS TO WEST AND SOUTH

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1197563
Date first listed:
11-Dec-1969
Statutory Address:
DARTMOUTH CASTLE AND GUN PLATFORMS TO WEST AND SOUTH

Map

Ordnance survey map of DARTMOUTH CASTLE AND GUN PLATFORMS TO WEST AND SOUTH
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1197563.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Nov-2019 at 22:33:46.

Location

Statutory Address:
DARTMOUTH CASTLE AND GUN PLATFORMS TO WEST AND SOUTH

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Devon
District:
South Hams (District Authority)
Parish:
Dartmouth
National Grid Reference:
SX 88670 50332

Details

DARTMOUTH

SX8850 DARTMOUTH CASTLE 673-1/7/9 Dartmouth Castle and gun platforms 11/12/69 to west and south

GV I

Castle with adjoining gun platforms. 1480-1494, with successive later modernisations. Some local limestone, but mostly slatestone rubble with red sandstone detail; lead roof. PLAN: Double tower. Small round tower begun first or adapted from C14 fortalice (qv). Square tower built alongside to south-east and the 2 merged at a higher level. Round tower received the Dartmouth end of a chain boom across the estuary, the square tower contained the main armament. Barrack accommodation on upper 2 floors with stair turret projecting from the south side and rising to serve as a lookout. Open batteries each side of the castle. EXTERIOR: Basement level of square tower with 7 embrasures - large rectangular ports close to water level (originally shuttered externally). Loops for handguns as well as small square-headed windows on the upper floors and provision for more cannon on the flat roof. Crenellated parapet and machicolations above the doorway (C20 but in original position). Parapet has been raised on the landward side. INTERIOR: Some alterations to floor levels. Rock-cut basement of round tower has slots for pulley and holes in the rock, probably for windlass for hauling the chain. Much of interior carpentry has been renewed in the C20 but first-floor barracks has large moulded crossbeams with runout stops (surely later than the C15). Also a hooded fireplace and remains of another. Each side of the castle are open batteries with thick crenellated parapets, remodelled in the C18. Originally the castle approach was from the north across a bridge (rebuilt) across a chasm. C18 doorway through the curtain wall has brick segmental arch and contains a fielded 6-panel doorway. The castle and other nearby buildings make up an important group at the mouth of the Dart valley. An important example of a fort designed for artillery, earlier than the castles of Henry VIII. Scheduled Ancient Monument. (Archaeologia: O'Neil BH St J: Dartmouth Castle and other defences of Dartmouth Haven: 1935-: P.129-157; Saunders AD: Dartmouth Castle, Devon: HMSO: 1986-).

Listing NGR: SX8866750335

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
387137
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Saunders, A D, Dartmouth Castle Devon, (1986)
'Archaeologia' in Archaeologia , (1935), 129-157

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 20 Aug 2006
Reference: IOE01/15745/05
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Robert W Keniston. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].