This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1197795



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.


District: Manchester

District Type: Metropolitan Authority


National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 25-Feb-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 06-Jun-1994

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 387908

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



SJ89NE ASHTON NEW ROAD, Beswick And Clayton 698-1/5/526 (North side) 25/02/52 Clayton Hall (Formerly Listed as: ASHTON NEW ROAD, Clayton Ashton Hall)


Remains of manor house, now two dwellings. Probably C15, altered in C16 and C17, partly rebuilt or enlarged in C18 and restored c.1900 and in C20. Red brick, some timber framing, stone slate roofs. Linear plan in 2 parts on north-south axis, the C15 or C16 southern half of 2 bays and single-depth plus a front corridor, and the later portion to the left double-depth and double-fronted. Two storeys, 3+3 windows. The earlier portion is of square-panelled timber-framing at 1st floor, probably formerly jettied but the ground floor rebuilt or enclosed in brick, and has a short gabled stair-turret offset right of centre with a bellcote on the ridge; the ground floor has a simple doorway to the left of the wing and a 2-light casement left of this; the upper floor has 3 wooden mullioned windows with diamond-pattern leaded glazing, 5 lights in the gable of the wing, 4 lights to the left, and 3 lights to the right, and a jettied gable with kingpost and raked struts. The right-hand gable wall has a very large external chimney stack of squared sandstone blocks, finished or rebuilt in brick at the top. The later portion to the left, of hand-made brick in English garden wall bond with stone quoins, has a segmental-headed doorway offset slightly left of centre with quoined stone surround, C19 diamond-paned casement windows of 3 and 3 lights to the left, 4 and 4 lights to the right, and 4, 2 and 5 lights at 1st floor, all with raised sills and rectangular stone lintels except that in the centre at 1st floor which has a brick label; rainwater heads dated 1900; and 2 ridge chimneys. Rear: southern portion has small-panelled timber-framing through both floors, and almost continuous wooden mullioned windows on both floors (probably insertions and recently restored). Interior: southern portion has small-framed partition walls of unusually high quality, with timbers of large scantling: an unusual longitudinal partition making a front corridor, and the lateral partition, with doorways which have nicked Tudor-arched lintels (including 2 blocked doorways at 1st floor of the partition); massive wallplates, that in the rear wall with motices of former wallposts and studs over the present windows; massive arch-braces to the tie-beams; rectangular stone fireplace in south gable wall with chamfered lintel (now blocked). Forms group with bridge over moat to south.

Listing NGR: SJ8814198568

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SJ 88141 98568


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1197795 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Sep-2017 at 05:41:45.

End of official listing