FORMER CHURCH OF ST THOMAS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1197828
Date first listed:
03-Oct-1974
Statutory Address:
FORMER CHURCH OF ST THOMAS, ARDWICK GREEN NORTH

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1197828.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Sep-2020 at 08:39:32.

Location

Statutory Address:
FORMER CHURCH OF ST THOMAS, ARDWICK GREEN NORTH

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Manchester (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SJ 85185 97321

Details

MANCHESTER

SJ8597 ARDWICK GREEN NORTH, Ardwick 698-1/20/474 (North side)

03/10/74 Former Church of St Thomas

GV II

Church, now community services centre. 1741, widened 1777 and extended eastwards 1831, tower added 1836 (by William Hayley). Red brick in Flemish bond with some sandstone dressings (roof concealed). Rectangular plan with west porch and tower. Simple Georgian style, with Italian campanile tower. Two-storey 7-window nave (originally 5 and 2 added) with rusticated quoins, moulded cornice, brick parapet with stone coping; round-headed windows to both floors, all with raised stone sills and small imposts, those at 1st floor with Y-tracery and those at ground floor altered. Shallow rectangular addition to west end with projecting square tower, matching quoins, modillioned cornice (carried round tower); round-headed west doorway to base of tower, with impost bands; narrow arcaded round-headed windows to 1st floor, with linking imposts; 3 stages of tower above the cornice, the 1st with slit windows in arcaded blank arches, the next with similar arcades to the front and clock-faces in the sides, and the top with 3-light open-arcaded belfry, prominent cornice and pyramidal roof with weathervane finial. Interior not inspected.



Listing NGR: SJ8518597321

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
387884
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 10 Feb 2006
Reference: IOE01/14695/30
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter Hyde. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].